With just over a year to go for Rio Olympics there might be bigger representation of Indian shuttlers in this Olympics than ever. The Indian shuttlers have done brilliantly at the world stage and have done the country proud. With sports growing in the country due to tireless efforts of Gopichand and many more like him, four Indian shuttlers including Saina Nehwal, PV Sindhu, P Kashyap and K Srikanth will represent India in Rio Olympics 2016.
As per Olympic qualification rules following are the criteria:
- There are two main categories-singles and doubles, Singles has men and women whereas doubles comprises of three categories including men’s doubles, women’s doubles and mixed doubles thus making a total of 5 categories
- Each country can a send a minimum of one team in each category
- A country can send more representation in each category as below
- In any category a maximum of three indiduvuals or teams if they are within world ranking up to four
- Two teams or indidvuduals among the world rankings upto number 15
India has two players in women’s singles – Saina Nehwal number 2 and PV Sindhu World ranking 11. In men’s singles Srikanth number 4 and P Kashayp 15.
Since no Indian pair has figured in World ranking upto 15 we can send only 1 team each. The women’s double is choice is easy as Ashwini Ponappa and Jwala Gutta make automatic choice. In men’s doubles we have Akashay Dewlakar and Pranav Chopra, Manu Attri and Sumeeth Reddy. So out of these two teams we can send one. In mixed doubles Manu Attri and Sikki Reddy might be the best choice.
The Indian shuttlers have been doing well and it will biggest boost for India to see four representations in the Olympics which will be great for Indian badminton.