After yesterdays wonderful play by Jacques Kallis and Sunil Narine managed to grab the Orange and Purple cap respectively. Jacques Kallis started his innings slowly but managed to increase the pace after the first 10 over’s and scored a classy 72 runs of 46 balls. He top scored for the match and it was the first match of the seventh edition, by default the Orange cap was handed over to him. On the other side both Sunil Narine and Lasith Malinga took 4 wickets each but because of a better economy it was the KKR spinner who grabbed the Purple cap.
As it was just the beginning and there are many more matches to come, let’s take a look at probable players who might take over the Orange and Purple Cap after today’s match between Royal Challengers Bangalore and Delhi Daredevils. Both these teams have got heavyweights in their team and players on their day can take away with a blink of an eye from the opposition.
Let’s take a look at those 5 players are capable enough to win the Orange and Purple cap at the end of today’s match:
5) Chris Gayle: He is the most fierce player in T20 cricket and if he gets going, there is no bowler who can restrict him. He didn’t have a good World Cup but the pitches at UAE are different and will also support his type of game. If Gayle has it his way then scoring more than 72 runs wouldn’t be a much of difficult task for him and that’s why he stands as a major competitor to take over the Orange cap today.
4) Virat Kohli: This player is in form of his life and he would like to continue the same throughout this season of Indian Premier League. He has become a master at chasing, he paces his innings extremely well and manages to score with a strike rate of 140.00 very easily. If Delhi manage to pose a good target in front of RCB, then there is good chance that Kohli will manage to take over the Orange cap from Kallis.
3) Ross Taylor: With Kevin Pietersen not playing in the first match, there will huge responsibility on Ross Taylor to anchor the innings and increase the scoring rate for Delhi Daredevils. If Ross gets a good platform to bat on, he will be one player to watch out for. If he gets going then the viewers are in for a treat as there will many sixes hit all over the ground. Despite his poor form, he has good chance to prove his worth and grab that Orange cap.
2) Muttiah Muralitharan / Ravi Rampaul: There is tough chance that both these players will get a chance to play together, but if they do then the opposition will have a tough time scoring runs. Both these bowlers are capable of destroying any batting line-up in the world. They have done many a times and their team will be expecting them to do so again and take over the Purple cap. It is a tough ask to get 4 or more wickets in the first match and with a economy lesser than that of Sunil Narine but if someone can then it is definitely one of these two.
1) Wayne Parnell: He has given good performances in IPL earlier and the Delhi team will be dependent on this bowler to pick some quick wickets right up front. Parnell with is controlled line and length will be looking to contain explosive players like Chris Gayle and Virat Kohli. If he manages to do so, he will be a huge competitor to take over the Purple cap.