We have always heard few interesting instances from Indian dressing room. The Indian dressing room have always been famous for few popular instances as Indian player’s shares healthy relationship among them. From Sachin-Ganguly to Yuvraj-Bhajji all share a healthy relationship among them. But still there are some unknown stories that fans may not know. Let’s get you across among those instances-
1. When John Wright grabbed Virender Sehwag’s collar- Virender Sehwag is always famous for getting dismissed playing loose shots. In one of the incident, he got himself out playing a ridiculous shot in 2002 Natwest Trophy against England. John Wright, the coach of the Indian team at that time decided to confront Sehwag to warn him to stop playing these silly shots. When Sehwag returned to the dressing room, John grabbed Sehwag’s collar and shook him and warned him that he should stop playing these silly shots. This news also sparked controversy as media reported that Ganguly asked for a written apology from Wright whereas Ganguly cleared the air by saying that he never asked for an apology.
2. When Indian team decided to play a revenge prank on Ganguly- This is the best story in the history of Indian cricket. In the year 2000 when young Yuvraj Singh was about to make his debut in international cricket, A night before the match Ganguly came to Yuvraj and asked Yuvraj “Will You Open”. Yuvi was so tensed that he has to take sleeping pills a night before the match. The next day Ganguly came to Yuvi and said that it was just a joke. For Ganguly, it was over there but Yuvi never forgot that joke and played a big prank on Ganguly five years later.
In 2005 at Kochi all teammates planned to make a fool of Ganguly. All the players arranged a printout copy of a fake interview of Ganguly in which it was written that Dada has made disapproving judgements on Indian players. Dada was shocked as he never gave such an interview. An upset ‘dada’ went to each and every player and pleaded that he never gave such an interview. The situation became worse when the team manager read out all the lines but gentlemen Rahul Dravid could not see tears in captain’s eyes and he told the truth to Dada that it was just a prank. Dada after really understanding the situation picked up his bat and ran after each and every player. He also warned players not to play such a prank in future.
3. When Kapil Dev asked Dawood Ibrahim to leave dressing room– This is one of the bravest acts in the history of Indian cricket. In a game in Sharjah underworld don Dawood Ibrahim entered the dressing room and wanted to talk to Indian players. We know that as per ICC guidelines no outsider is allowed to enter the dressing room. So Kapil Dev asked him to leave the dressing room. After many years, Kapil Dev said that he did not had an idea that he has gangster Dawood Ibrahim who entered the dressing room.
4. When players fooled debutant Kohli- Riding on his good performance in under 19 world cup and domestic cricket, Virat Kohli was selected in the Indian team at a young age of 19. On his first day during practise session, all the players asked him to go and touch the feet of Sachin Tendulkar saying that this is a tradition which every player has to follow. Young Virat unaware of the prank went to Sachin to touch his feet but was left stunned when Sachin told him that it was just a prank played on him.
5. Virat Kohli-Shikar Dhawan fight during Brisbane test- On a disastrous tour to Australia in 2014-15 in the second test at Brisbane Virat Kohli was upset that he has to bat ahead of Dhawan who sustained an injury in the practise session. Kohli was out cheaply and Indian team lost the match too. It is said that Kohli confronted Dhawan and they both lashed out each other in the dressing room. The news made headlines as M.S. Dhoni. The captain of the test team at that time found it difficult to answer this question raised by media.