Alviro Petersen said he was never investigated for fixing
Cricket

Alviro Petersen said he was never investigated for fixing


  • Former South Africa opener Alviro Petersen criticized media  that  carried his image  in a cricket scandal related news in a South African daily.  Petersen said he has been investigated by South African police.

    Recently former cricketer Gulam Bodi has been found guilty in Januray this year for “contriving or attemping to fix matches” during last year’s Ramslam T20 Challenge as a result he was banned for 20 years from any involvement in officially sanctioned cricket, with five years suspended.

    It was learnt that Bodi approached a number of his former teammates in a few franchise teams to be part of his modus operandi and the matter is still under investigation by Cricket South Africa (CSA) Anti Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU).

    In a newspaper report, Petersen’s name was reported along with other South African players as among those who are being investigated by the ACSU, with one allegation being that a former Proteas player will be banned for his life for his role in the scandal.

    His image was also published. Now, his lawyer Robin Twaddle said, the name would imply that Petersen as the player who would receive the life ban.

    However, Robin said Petersen has never been investigated. The 35 year old top order batsman, who hails from Port Elizabeth, is currently playing for English county Lancashire.

    “Alviro Petersen was not involved in the T20 corruption scandal and has not been investigated for any involvement. He is certainly not in danger of being banned following CSA’s investigation into the scandal,” the statement read.

    “Alviro reported the corruption to CSA when he became aware of it and has fully co-operated with CSA during its investigation. Alviro is confident that the investigation report will fully exonerate him.

    “Alviro is vehemently opposed to any form of corruption, match fixing or manipulation in the sport that he loves. He firmly believes that the fans have the right to see an honest contest and he will always do everything that he can to give them just that.

    The 35 year old right handed batsman

    also denied his involvement in the matter in a series of tweets on March 4.  “As far as I’m concerned, I’m under no investigation. I confirm that I reported the matter to SACA CEO Tony Irish and ACSU Louis Cole 3 days after I was made aware of the fixing scandal.

    “Under the Anti Corruption Code, you have to report any knowledge of corruption, and I did that as required by the code. Subsequent to me reporting the matter, 2 other players also came forward and reported that they were approached. I told the ACSU that all I wanted was for them to stop the fixing in the Ramslam before it happened…

    “I was in daily communication with the ACSU after I reported the matter. They knew about my meetings and discussions with others. I met with high profile team of the NPA led by adv. Gerrie Nel on advice by ACSU.”

    South African cricket board has appointed retired judge Bernard Ngoepe as the independent non executive chairman of their Anti Corruption and Security Unit in March, and the unit will compile a report after its investigation is concluded into the matter, the biggest in South African cricket since the Hansie Cronje match fixing scandal in 2000.

    Most Popular

    Top