In the latest development during the Special General Meeting (SGM) on Sunday (May 7), Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), has cleared the way for Team India in a bid to participate for the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy which will kick off from June 1 in England and Wales.
“The BCCI SGM unanimously decided that the Indian cricket team will participate in the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy,” BCCI release stated.
As the speculations were high whether Men in Blue would participate or not, the much-awaited announcement form the cricket board’s officials is likely to be hailed by the cricket fanatics after uncertainty loomed large over the clearance after BCCI was outvoted by the different boards over finance revenue model and ‘Big Three’ governance in the ICC’s crucial meeting, last month.
Since there on, the ICC and BCCI was at loggerheads over the newly laid process in the world of cricket.
Interestingly, following the strong worded letter from Committee of Administrators (CoA), which is headed by Vinod Rai told BCCI to announce the Team India Squad from ICC Champions Trophy at the earliest.
It becomes pertinent that the meeting will take place between the senior selection committee to announce the team on Monday (May 8) according to BCCI’s fresh statement.
“The All India Senior Selection Meeting will be held tomorrow, May 8, in New Delhi to pick the team,” it added.
During the meeting it has also been cleared that board will not issue a legal complaint to the ICC before continuing on the part of negotiations.
However, on the other side the statement stated cricket body has kept their ‘legal options’ open while considering not to challenge the Members Participation Agreement (MPA) as of now following the new revenue models and governance system which has taken place on April 26, last month.
It becomes interesting here that the MPA was approved in 2014 when N. Srinivasan was the chairman of world cricket governing body which further decided to provide $570 million to BCCI as a part of revenue in the total revenue of $2.5 billion ICC generates.
With the existence of ‘Big Three’ system which further was chalked out on 63-page dossier to share the mutual understanding between the boards following the commitment with BCCI, Cricket Australia and England Cricket Board.
Before India missed the squad-submission deadline on April 25, BCCI rejected the offer of $100 million as a part of negotiation from the ICC Chairman Shashank Manohar after their revenue shares were reduced to 293 million.
The reports further revealed former BCCI president N Srinivisan has also attended the Special General Meeting (SGM) through a Skype (video conference) while posing the questions according to Supreme Court-led Lodha Panel Committee order for eligibility criteria.
“Yes, Mr Srinivasan is attending the meeting via Skype from London. As per FAQs, there is no clarity if he is disqualified or not,” a BCCI official was quoted by PTI.
However, it hasn’t been clear how Committee of Administrators (CoA), members have reacted over the Srinivasan’s attendance at the SGM.
The Supreme Court-appointed CoA is supervising the BCCI’s happening which would further present the status report before the apex body as per the recommendations of Lodha Panel Committee.
Following the confusion over the diktat from apex body, the senior BCCI official added it hasn’t been clear that Indian cricket board’s old-guard is ineligible to participate in the SGM as it has been earlier stated Srinivasan won’t be allowed to be the part of ICC meeting.
“The Supreme Court passed a judgement that he won’t be allowed to attend the ICC meeting but it was never clarified whether he is ineligible to attend the SGM,” a senior BCCI official said.
According the Lodha Committee Recommendations, the age cap has been set to 70 years whereas; Srinivasan is 71 which further puts him in disqualification for attending the meetings.