India’s Champion’s Trophy participation in upcoming ICC Champions Trophy has been in ambiguity due to the BCCI-ICC rift on a revenue model.
BCCI was outvoted 13-1 last week in its bid to stall a new revenue model which considerably slashes India’s share from global events in the 2015-2023 cycle.
Unimpressed by the $293 million forecast, down from the $570 million it would have received under the 2014 arrangement, the BCCI responded by refusing to name the squad for next month’s Champions Trophy before the April 25 deadline.
With all the other nations submitting the squad names, it raised eyebrows of lots of people.
ICC president Shashank Manohar, a former BCCI chief, has tabled an additional $100 million and the Indian board will discuss the offer at Sunday’s special general body meeting.
The operations of the BCCI are currently being supervised by four court-appointed administrators and the head of the committee, Vinod Rai, told Reuters last week that it was “too early” to comment on a possible pullout Champions Trophy.
Another of the quartet, Ramchandra Guha, has since made it clear he wants India to defend the title they won in 2013 at the June 1-18 tournament in England and Wales.He said India ‘absolutely must’ take part in the event!
“Boycotting or threatening to boycott a prestigious international tournament does not become a great cricketing nation,” he added.
Under the Members Participation Agreement for the Champions Trophy, there is no scope for sanctions for missing the deadline for naming squads. So a decision will come after the meeting on 7th may.