It was quite of an important match for qualification for the next round as both teams had lost their first encounters respectively. So this match was a kind of a do or die for each of Southern Express and Mumbai Indians. Mumbai Indians were definitely ahead of the Southern Express on paper and they had to win the game to qualify for the next round. And it did end as expected. Mumbai Indians clinched victory and that too in sheer style. Here is the list of the HITS and the FLOPS:
FLOPS Of the Match
- Kusal Perera (Southern Express): The Southern Express opener was expected to put up a brilliant show today as it was an important game for them but he disappointed with his performance. He managed to score just 8 runs off 14 balls.
- Jehan Mubarak (Southern Express): The captain of the Southern Express did not contribute much to set up a mammoth total for the Southern Express and he just managed to score 16 runs off 14 balls and he was bowled out by Pragyan Ojha. Also, he went strategically wrong while captaining his side in the second innings.
- Shreyas Gopal (Mumbai Indians): The uncapped spinner of the Mumbai Indians came handy for them in the last IPL. However, he did not manage to make a significant impact today. He went for runs and gave away 29 runs in his 2 overs.
- Dilruwan Perera (Southern Express): He failed to impress with his bowling today and bowled with much of a predictable length. A majority of his deliveries were flat and the batsmen found no difficulty in playing him. He gave 28 runs in his 3 overs.
HITS of the Match
- Lendl Simmons (Mumbai Indians): He was simply perfect with the bat today and the opening partnership of Mumbai Indians almost won the game for them. Simmons was perfect in his stroke play and took calculated risks to keep the score in pace with the required run rate. He remained unbeaten on 76 runs off 51 deliveries.
- Michael Hussey (Mumbai Indians): He was phenomenal with his batting today. He played some classy strokes including some sensational reverse sweeps. He and Simmons anchored the MI innings and gave no chance to the opposition to be in the game. He scored 60 runs off 40 balls with the help of 5 fours and 3 sixes. He was dismissed in the 15th over.
- Harbhajan Singh (Mumbai Indians): He opened the bowling for the Mumbai Indians and did a tremendous job right up front. Although he did not pick up any wickets yet he was pretty much economical and kept the batsmen in real pressure. He gave just 18 runs in his 4 overs.
- Farveez Maharoof(Southern Express): He was majestic with the bat and due to the aid of his fiery innings of 41 runs off 22 deliveries at the death overs, Southern Express managed to reach to a total of 161 runs. But he was quite of disappointing with the ball and failed to pick a wicket.