South Indian Cricket association known as SACA has been fined by Cricket Australia (CA) on Thursday when they found out that SACA had breached had breached the BBL player contracting and remuneration guidelines in its dealings with Brad Hodge, Jonathan Dean and Kieron Pollard. SACA entered into agreement with these three player Brad Hodge, Jonathan Dean and Kieron Pollard during the outside of the contracting period of Big Bash League. They had been fined a total of $50000 from which $30000 they have to pay now and remaining $20000 if there is any breaches in next three years.
In a Statement Cricket Australia (CA) said, “The nature of the communications between the SACA and the relevant player or their representatives in each instance was found to be inconsistent with ‘non-binding discussions’ as is allowed by clause 3.1(b) of the guidelines”
In addition to this Fine SACA has also been suspended of using the service of their high performance chief as well as manager Jamie Cox in any capacity relating to the Adelaide Strikers until the end of the 2015-16 BBL season. Jamie Cox is also a former first class player of SACA who had already been sacked by SACA in the last week of May after investigations into his recruitment activities had started. So suspension on utilizing his service will not affect much.
SACA was found to have entered into agreements with three players – Brad Hodge, Jonathan Dean and Kieron Pollard – during the BBL Contracting Embargo Period, which is prohibited under the guidelines of the tournament. They broke the rules or the relevant clauses on the guidelines.
The relevant clause in 3.1 (a) states, “During the Contracting Embargo Period, BBL Teams must not enter into any agreements, including renewals of existing agreements, arrangements or understandings, with any player in relation to or in any way in connection with the BBL.”
The clause in 3.1 (b) states that, “For the avoidance of doubt, clause 3.1(a) does not preclude BBL Teams from engaging in non-binding discussions with players”, but the nature of communications between SACA and the relevant player or their representatives in each instance was found to be inconsistent with the “non-binding discussions” that are allowed.
Iain Roy, the CA Integrity senior manager, said “SACA has been found to have breached the BBL Player Contracting and Remuneration Guidelines. We view contraventions of our competition rules seriously and the penalties handed down reflect this,”. Roy added “Cricket Australia is committed to ensuring the contracting rules for all of CA’s competitions are adhered to at all times. We acknowledge SACA’s co-operation during the course of the Unit’s investigation.”
Chief executive Keith Bradshaw said “We are undertaking a thorough and independent review to ensure we have good systems in place going forward to avoid a recurrence, Cricket Australia’s findings do not impact our current negotiations with the relevant players and we hope to be able to announce the outcomes of those negotiations very soon”