India’s limited-over cricket skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni has sent a legal notice to the accusers who had alleged on Dhoni to be a match-fixer.
Earlier this week a Hindi daily newspaper carried out a sting operation where former team India manager Sunil Dev claimed that in 2014, the 4th Test between England and India at Manchester was fixed and he alleged that Dhoni was involved. India had lost that Manchester match by an innings and 54 runs against England within 3 days. The sting operation was made public on Sunday evening.
According to the sting operation by the Hindi daily newspaper Sun Star, “Given the conditions of the pitch was wet due to a long spell of rain, we have decided to bowl first in a team meeting.”
He further added, “But Dhoni surprised everyone by opting to bat first.”
Later, Dev totally denied that news by telling TOI, “It is all rubbish. I am planning to sue this Hindi daily and will seek legal recourse against anyone else who makes such malicious claims.”
Dhoni’s Delhi-based lawyers C&C Associates have sent a nine-page legal notice to the newspaper. Rajneesh Chopra and Pratik Malik, the lawyers of Dhoni, have asked the publishers to issue denials to the report in the next 48-hours or face a legal case against them.
The notice said, “The said video contains footage of an absolute dubious sting operation of the aforementioned Mr. (Sunil) Dev, which in the present circumstances is nothing but a false propaganda initiated by you to defame my client. In fact, the so called Indian cricket official (Sunil Dev) who you have credited to be the source of information has strongly denied the incident.”
The notice also said, “Our client (Dhoni) reserves the right to institute proceedings for the recovery of damages up to Rs 100 Crores (USD $15million) from you on account of the defamation, mental agony and trauma caused to him due to this by causing loss of his reputation,”