To avoid an embarrassing scenario that took place last year at Barabati Stadium at Cuttack during a T20 match between India and South Africa, a three-member ECB team on Friday(August 12) met Bhubaneswar-Cuttack Commissioner of Police Y B Khurania in Bhubaneswar. The T20 match last year was marred with troubles when angry spectators hurled missiles, mainly water bottles, into the cricket ground. The English team is scheduled to play the second of the three-match ODI series against India at the same stadium on January 19, 2017.
“A preliminary discussion on security arrangements was held where ECB and OCA officials were present. The ECB officials wanted to know about security arrangements at the airport, hotel and stadium. We have given them assurance that we will make foolproof security arrangement at all the places,” Khurania told reporters after the meeting.
Khurania said that he requested the English officials to inform the police about the players’ itinerary well in advance.
“We will put our best efforts on the security front,” Khurania said.
The bilateral series between the two teams will consist of five Test matches and three ODIs and T20Is.
The Orissa Cricket Association has also decided to reduce the seating capacity of Barabati Stadium from 45,000 to 41,000 for the upcoming event.
In order to avoid any trouble, the association has also decided to prohibit users to carry water bottles into the stadium. It has also decided to install more CCTV cameras during the match.
“Adequate drinking water arrangement will be made at all stands of the stadium, as such water bottle will be strictly prohibited into the stadium on match day,” a release from the OCA said.
The board is also planning to heighten the wire fencing between the gallery and field to ensure that nothing enters into the cricket field even if thrown from the gallery.
The release also stated that all the seats would be numbered and the seat number would be marked on the ticket to keep a track on the movement of the fans.