Under-fire West Indies off-spinner Sunil Narine says he is targeting the Twenty20 World Cup in India in March for a return to international cricket.

The 27-year-old was banned from bowling in international cricket last November after the sport’s governing body (ICC) ruled his action to be illegal and has not played any competitive cricket since, reports CMC.

Speaking during the ongoing Regional Super50 semi-final here on Thursday, Narine said he was hoping to undergo testing on his action shortly so he could be cleared in time for the March 8 to April 3 event.

“Hopefully, I can do the next test, hopefully before the World Cup so I’ll be able to make myself available for selection,” Narine said.

“But hopefully, (I can get) over this once again and hopefully it is the final hurdle so that I can continue playing cricket and frequently as possible and start back the way I stopped.”

Narine was reported following the third One-Day International (ODI) against Sri Lanka in Pallekelle last November and subsequent tests revealed his action to be exceeding the required 15 degrees level of tolerance.

The Trinidadian said he had been undergoing rehabilitation and was hoping to gauge his progress by playing for his club Queen’s Park in the domestic tournament starting January 30.

“It’s something no bowler would like to happen but at the end of the day, officials make rules and you just have to go along with it,” Narine said of his ban.

“I think I would have loved to play to see how things are coming along but saying that, hopefully, I’ll get the chance to represent Queens Park in a couple games and see how it goes from there.”

Though banned internationally, Narine can play in Caribbean tournaments. However, he was denied the chance to play in the Super50 after the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) rejected a request from the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board for him to represent the Red Force.

Narine is one of the most sought after players in the burgeoning global Twenty20 circuit and has played extensively in the star-studded Indian Premier League (IPL).

He is one of several West Indies stars who have chosen to ply their trade in the various leagues around the globe and believes this approach will be better for players.

“As much cricket you can play is better for you,” he reasoned.

“The more you’re on the field and playing cricket, you get accustomed (to playing) and you don’t get accustomed to relaxing. The more cricket you play is better for you in the long run.

  • SHARE

    The IANS was founded by Indian American publisher Gopal Raju as the India Abroad News Service. It was later renamed the Indo-Asian News Service.

    Related Posts

    Ranji Trophy 2017-18, Gautam Gambhir, Delhi, Vidarbha, Aditya Sarwate

    Ranji Trophy 2017/18: Delhi Thumps Madhya Pradesh; Vidarbha Crush Kerala in Quarter-final

    On the final day of the quarter-final round of the Ranji Trophy 2017-18, Delhi clinched the match by seven wickets against Madhya Pradesh after...

    Ronaldinho planning 2018 farewell tour

    Rio de Janeiro, Dec 11: Ronaldinho is planning a series of testimonial matches with his former clubs before officially announcing his retirement from football. The 37-year-old...

    Freiburg shock Cologne 4-3 in German Bundesliga

    Berlin, Dec 11: Last-placed Cologne squandered a three-goal advantage and lost 4-3 to Freiburg to complete the 15th round of Bundesliga action. Nils Petersen's hat-trick helped...

    Club Bolivar crowned Bolivian football champions

    La Paz, Dec 11: Club Bolivar won Bolivia's Clausura first division title with a 1-1 draw at Nacional Potosi. Marcos Riquelme, on Sunday, opened the scoring...

    Atletico Madrid knocks off Real Betis

    Seville (Spain), Dec 11: Atletico Madrid continued to put pressure on La Liga leader Barcelona with a 1-0 away win over Real Betis in the...