Team India head coach Anil Kumble might find himself in hot waters after reportedly telling the BCCI not to jeopardise India’s participation in the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy due to the ongoing tussle with the ICC, according to reports.
Speculations are rife over India’s participation in the tournament due to ICC’s decision to revise its revenue-sharing and governance model that would drastically reduce India’s share. According to the new model, based on current forecasted revenues and costs, the BCCI will receive $293 million across the next eight-year cycle, instead of the US $570 million dollars that it used to earn previously under the ‘Big Three’ model.
Miffed with the whole development, the BCCI had threatened to boycott the tournament. The cricket board has already missed the April-25 deadline to announce the squad and still, nothing is clear on India’s participation in the event which begins on June 1 in England.
The Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators (CoA) has told the BCCI to select the team immediately but recent media reports are suggesting that some top officials of the board are still in favour of giving the eight-team tournament a miss. Amid all these uncertainties, The Mumbai Mirror reported that Anil Kumble had conveyed to the BCCI that the team is looking forward to defending its title reign in England.
However, Kumble’s act has not gone down too well with some senior BCCI officials who think that the India coach’s stand is ‘uncalled for’.
“It is the institution which decides, and not one individual. Kumble writing to the Board about his decision of wanting to play in the Champions Trophy was uncalled for. He had no business in doing this,” a senior BCCI member told Hindustan Times.
Another official said that the former India leg-spinner is going to be in trouble for his conduct once the board members take charge of the BCCI.
“Kumble is going to be on a sticky wicket for this act once the Board members take control of BCCI. It is just a matter of time,” added another senior functionary.
The report further claimed that few BCCI officials are against a further delay in the selection of the squad because of the lengthy visa procedure and paperwork.
“The visa procedure will take time, while the option to withdraw is always there,”said a senior BCCI official.
India is scheduled to start their title defence against Pakistan on June 4.