It was another India – Pakistan encounter, played in front of a vibrant crowd, and yet again it was India getting the better of Pakistan. The similarities just don’t end here, as the game was in many ways, was quite similar to the game between the two sides played in the Asia Cup. Pakistan being restricted to a below par total and then Kohli – Yuvraj setting up the chase with Dhoni finishing it, is one major similarity.
Dhoni won an extremely crucial toss and opted to bowl first. Both sides however missed a trick by leaving out a spinner. While India didn’t field Harbhajan Singh, Pakistan committed a blunder by leaving out the talented Imad Wasim. The Pakistani openers looked like fishes out of the water as they struggled miserably against R. Ashwin. Soon the Pakistani top order was rattled by the Indian bowlers and it needed a special effort from Shoaib Malik and Umar Akmal to get Pakistan to 118-5 in 18 overs.
India too did not have an ideal start as Rohit Sharma was dismissed by Mohammad Aamir for a loose shot. Shikhar Dhawan and Suresh Raina were castled on consecutive deliveries by the returning Mohammad Sami. Ever since his comeback, Suresh Raina has struggled big time at number 4. The team management could soon lose its patience over Raina and it wouldn’t be a surprise if he is demoted down the order.
But then again, it was Virat Kohli, undoubtedly the best batsman on the globe currently. Kohli and Yuvraj settled the run chase and ensured that India remained on top. Kohli in the due course got his half century and India won with 13 balls to spare.
Below, are the statistical highlights for the game between India and Pakistan.
- 375. Virat Kohli has 375 runs while chasing in T20I’s. He is second only to Chris Gayle.
- 109.16. Virat Kohli averages an unbelievable 109.16 in successful chases in T20I’s.
- 780. Umar Akmal and Shoaib Malik have 780 runs as a pair in T20I’s, the most by a Pakistani pair.
- 5th. Ahmad Shehzad became the fifth Pakistani batsman to get to 1000+ T20I runs.
- 3. Virat Kohli has 3 Man of the Match awards against Pakistan in World Cups.