West Indies beat South Africa by 5 wickets in their WT20 2016 clash at Nagpur on Friday night [Super 10 stage (Group 2)]. After winning the toss, West Indies captain Darren Sammy decided to bowl first.
South Africa put 122/8 on the board in 20 overs after batting first. In reply, West Indies chased that total for the loss of 7 wickets and with two balls to spare.
With this win, West Indies secured their place into the semi-final of WT20 2016.
Some of the statistical highlights of the game are given below:
- It was the first ever victory for West Indies against South Africa in WT20. In the previous two WT20 meetings, West Indies had suffered defeat against South Africa.
- Marlon Samuels became the second West Indian cricketer to reach 1000+ runs in T20I career. Chris Gayle is the first West Indian cricketer to cross 1000 runs in T20I career.
- South Africa scored 122/8 in 20 overs of their innings. It was the second lowest total for South Africa in WT20 as well as their second lowest total against West Indies in T20I. South Africa’s lowest total in WT20 was 116/9 (20 overs) against India at Durban on 20th September 2007. On the other hand, 120/7 (20 overs) was the lowest total for South Africa against West Indies in T20I (Antigua, 20th May 2010).
- After 10th December 2012, it was for the first time that Chris Gayle bowled in a T20I.
- West Indies batsmen Carlos Brathwaite and Denesh Ramdin put a crucial unbeaten 10 run partnership for the 8th wicket to win this match. It is West Indies’ joint highest run partnership for the 8th wicket in their WT20 history.