India continued the battle with England in the 2nd day of the 1st test of 5 test match series in England at the Trent Bridge, Nottingham. India was all out for 457 runs in the first innings and England were 43/1 in the day 2 of the Test match. The match went like a roller coaster ride and throughout the day 2 of the 1st Test there were some outstanding as well as some disappointing performances for both the teams. To sum it up, here is the list of the Hits and Flops of the Match.
Hits of the Innings
1. Mohammed Shami (India) – The bowler of the Indian team gave a tough competition to the bowlers of the English Team. He came to bat after the 4 quick succession of fall of wickets. Everybody thought that India’s innings came to an end but Mohammed Shami proved everyone wrong and stood against the odds and with the help of Bhuvneshwar Kumar destroyed the England bowling attack by scoring a half century in a classic way by hitting a six. He took the early wicket of the skipper Alastair Cook and dominated the bowling attack.
2. Bhuvneshwar Kumar (India) – He got is maiden fifty in the 1st Test of the 5 Test match series in England and in the perfect time. Kumar and Shami made a wonderful partnership of 111 runs, the second highest of the innings, which no one expected.
3. Ravindra Jadeja (India) – The Indian all-rounder had a short innings but he batted explosively scoring 25 runs of 24 balls and hitting couple of sixes and fours each.
4. James Anderson (England) – He took the very important wicket of Murali Vijay and ended the magnificent partnership of Vijay and Dhoni and put India in great pressure. He also took out the Indian skipper MS Dhoni not by his bowling but by his fielding and helped England take his wicket by running him out.
5. Ben Stokes (England) – He bowled the 2nd innings well and took a couple of wickets. One of his wickets was of Ravindra Jadeja who was batting explosively and was becoming a threat to England. His two wickets surprised India and kept them in pressure.
Flops of the Innings
1. Moeen Ali (England) – Ali received the hard hitting again from the Indian batsmen and conceded runs at a very high economy rate of 5.2 in the day 2 of the 1st Test Match. He gave 47 runs in just 9 overs. He took the last wicket of Bhuvneshwar Kumar and ended the Indian innings.
2. Stuart Binny (India) – We expected something from this batsman but his bat didn’t click well and fell to Ben Stokes and scored just a single run off 11 balls. His injury might have played a role in his poor performance today.
3. Alastair Cook (England) – The England skipper didn’t work well for England and fell to Mohammed Shami and scored just 5 runs. He made the same mistake over and over and Shami took advantage of it. He left his leg stump vulnerable by stepping towards off stump.