Batsmen dominating even one single session in the ongoing series between the two formidable sides indeed seems to be one hell of a thing! As things would turn out, the third day at the Feroz Shah Kotla was finally credited to the skill and patience of the Indian batsmen. The day once again began on a somber note for the hosts, as M. Vijay received a dubious decision to get his marching orders. Rohit Sharma, promoted to number 3 received a jaffa, to have his stumps flying in all directions. A golden duck was the last thing Sharma needed to resurrect his test career.
57-4, and it soon looked like another collapse awaited Kohli’s boys. But that was surely not to be, as Kohli and Rahane got along and resisted the might of the South African bowling. Morne Morkel was bowling splendidly, but the two batsmen displayed great patience and character to play him out. The duo soon registered the first century stand of the series, and as the day ended, the score read 190-4.
On the fourth morning, India will look to score some quick runs, while both the batsmen would want to ring their respective three figure mark. Below, are the statistical highlights for the third day’s play.
1. 116. The number of partnerships it took in this series to finally have a 100+ stand.
2. 133*. The highest partnership in the series so far. It’s held by Ajinkya Rahane and Virat Kohli.
3. 16. The number of years after which an Indian number 3 was dismissed for a golden duck.
4. 178*. Aggregate runs scored by Ajinkya Rahane in his last 2 innings at home. In the 6 innings before that, he had an aggregate of 47 runs.
5. 74. Rohit Sharma played 74 deliveries in this series. Rahane in this innings alone has played 152* balls.