On Thursday night, the host nation India suffered a defeat against West Indies in the semi-final of WT20 2016 at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai. After winning the toss, West Indies decided to bowl first. India put 192/2 on the board in the allotted 20 overs after batted first. West Indies chased down that big total successfully by losing 3 wickets with 2 balls to spare.
Some of the statistical highlights of the game are given below:
- India made 192/2 in 20 overs after batted first. It was India’s second highest total in WT20. India’s highest total in WT20 was 218/4 (20 overs) against England at Durban in WT20 2007.
- Virat Kohli hit another half-century in this match, which was 16th in his T20I career. With this half-century, he became the most half-century score in T20I cricket after surpassing West Indian batsmen Chris Gayle and New Zealand batsman Brendon McCullum (both 15 half-centuries in T20I cricket). Also, Kohli (9 half-centuries) became the jointly most half-century scorer in WT20 along with Chris Gayle (9 half-centuries).
- It was the third time that top 3 batsmen scored 40 or more runs in a T20I match. However, it was the first time happened in WT20 and second time happened for the Indian team in T20I.
- West Indian batsmen Johnson Charles and Lendl Simmons put a sensational 97 runs partnership for the 3rd wicket. It was their best 3rd wicket partnership in WT20 while it was also their 4th joint highest partnership for any wicket in WT20.
- West Indian batsmen Lendl Simmons and Andre Russell put another outstanding 80* runs partnership for the 4th wicket, which helped them to seal a marvelous victory and reach them into the final of WT20 2016. It was the best partnership for the 4th wicket for the Caribbean team in T20I.
- It was the highest successful chase by any team in the knockouts of WT20. The previous highest chase in a knockout of WT20 was 192 runs, which was done by Australia against Pakistan in the semi-final of WT20 2009.