Defending champion Mumbai Indians (MI) clinched their first victory in the IPL 2016 after beating Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) by 6 wickets at Eden Gardens, Kolkata. After winning the toss, Mumbai Indians sent KKR to bat first. With the good top order knocks, KKR managed to put 187 runs on the board after losing 5 wickets in 20 overs. Mumbai Indians reached that target after losing 4 wickets in 19.1 overs.
Some of the statistical highlights of the game are given below:
- Gambhir made a half-century in this match scoring 64 runs. With this half-century, Gambhir became the leader in the most half-century scorer table in the IPL history. It was Gambhir’s 27th half-century while David Warner, Rohit Sharma (adding a half-century in this match; 84*) and Suresh Raina are jointly in the second position with 26 half-centuries.
- In this match, KKR batsmen Gautam Gambhir and Manish Pandey put hundred runs partnership (100 runs) for the 2nd wicket in KKR’s innings. It was the 7th-century partnership for KKR in IPL at Eden gardens while it was also KKR’s 2nd best partnership in IPL for the 2nd wicket at Eden Gardens.
- KKR bowler Andre Russell conceded 52 runs in this match. It was the 4th most conceded runs by a KKR bowler in the IPL.
- Mumbai Indians chased successfully that target of 188 runs in 19.1 overs after losing 4 wickets. It was the second highest successful chasing at Eden Gardens in the IPL history. The highest successful chasing at Eden Gardens in the IPL was 201 runs by Kings XI Punjab (against KKR) in IPL 2010.
- This was also the highest successful chasing for Mumbai Indians at outside Mumbai in the IPL history while it was also their second highest successful chasing in the IPL history. Highest successful chasing for MI in IPL was 195/5 (14.4 overs) against Rajasthan Royals at Mumbai in 2014.