Two times IPL champions, Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) clinched an easy victory against Delhi Daredevils (DD) in their opening game of IPL 2016. After winning the toss, KKR decided to field first at their home ground Eden Gardens, Kolkata.
Delhi Daredevils started their IPL 2016 journey in a horrible way. All the Delhi batsmen struggled in front of KKR bowlers as they bowled out at just 98 runs (17.4 overs). Chasing down the small total, KKR reached that very easily in 14.1 overs after losing just 1 wicket. KKR won their opening game of IPL 2016 by 9 wickets with 35 balls still remaining.
Some of the statistical highlights of the game are given below:
- It was the seventh time in IPL history that Delhi Daredevils being bowled out for less than 100 runs. It is the highest among all the teams. Rajasthan Royals is in the second position, where they were being bowled out for less than 100 runs for 4 times.
- Andre Russell bowled today superbly and ended with the figure of 3-0-24-3. It was the only second time that Andre Russell (KKR) took more than 2 wickets in an IPL game. The previous instance was against Rajasthan Royals (3/35) in 2015.
- It was the 6th time in IPL history that Delhi Daredevils have lost more than three wickets during the Powerplay (0.1-6 overs).
- During this match, Robin Uthappa enters in the 3000+ runs club in IPL. He became the sixth IPL batsman to enter in this club.
- KKR won the match with 35 balls to spare. It was their second-largest victory in IPL history on the basis of balls remaining in the second innings.