The IPL 2016 begins with great. The new IPL team Rising Pune Supergiants (RPS) won their opening match in their IPL history against defending champion Mumbai Indians (MI) in the opening game of the tournament at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai.
After winning the toss, MI decided to bat first. MI put up only 121/8 on the board in 20 overs after batted first. In reply, RPS chased that total in 14.4 overs after losing just one wicket. RPS won they are first ever IPL game by 9 wickets with 32 balls still remaining.
Some of the statistical highlights of the game are given below:
- It was the first time in IPL history that brothers were playing together for the same team. In fact before this, there were no pair of brothers had played for the same team in the same season of IPL.
- Mumbai Indians cricketer Harbhajan Singh played an unbeaten 45 runs to knock in this match after coming to bat at the no.8 position for his team. It was second highest runs scored by a no.8 batsman in IPL. The highest score by a batsman in this position is also by Harbhajan Singh, who scored 64 runs against Kings XI Punjab in 2015.
- It was the first time in IPL history that four bowlers picked up a wicket at their very first ball in an innings. The four bowlers were: Ishant Sharma, Mitchell Marsh, Rajat Bhatia and Ravichandran Ashwin.
- RPS bowler Rajat Bhatia became the third bowler to concede 10 or fewer runs in his 4 overs at Wankhede Stadium in IPL history. The other two bowlers were Shaun Pollock in 2008 (Mumbai Indians) and Dale Steyn in 2012 (Deccan Chargers).
- Mumbai Indians lost this match with 32 balls still remaining. It was the third largest defeat for Mumbai Indians at IPL on the basis of balls remaining in the second innings.