The new IPL teams duo, Rising Pune Supergiants (RPS) and Gujarat Lions (GL) met against each other once again in the IPL 2016 on Friday night at Pune. After winning the toss, the visitors Gujarat Lions decided to field first.
The home team batted very well and put a huge total on the board of 195/3 in 20 overs. In reply, the visitors’ openers put a good start in the powerplay which was next batsmen made continue that. However at the last moment, Gujarat Lions got a little bit nervous but finally they won a thriller in the very last ball. Gujarat Lions won the match by 3 wickets and remained on top of the points table with 12 points in 7 matches (6 wins and 1 loss).
On the other hand, after that loss, RPS is currently staying at no.6 with 4 points in 7 matches (2 wins and 5 loss).
Some of the statistical highlights of the match are given below:
- Steven Smith scored 101 runs in this match. The Australian cricketer became the first RPS batsman to made century. It was the 10th century by an Australian in the IPL. In the most centurion list, Australians are behind from just Indians in the IPL as Indians made 13 centuries in the IPL.
- Opener Ajinkya Rahane and Steven Smith put 111 runs partnership for the 2nd wicket for RPS team. It was the first ever century partnership for RPS as the previous highest partnership was 91 between Dhoni and Rahane (for the 3rd wicket).
- RPS made 195 runs on the board which was the second highest total in the IPL 2016, which broke by Gujarat Lions after making 196/7 in 20 overs. The highest total is 227 runs which were made by Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) against Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) at Bangalore.
- Gujarat Lions made 72 runs on the board during powerplay (0.1-6 overs) without losing any wickets. It was the jointly highest total at the powerplay in this IPL season (IPL 2016) as Gujarat Lions made the same total earlier in the power play against RCB at Rajkot.
- Dwayne Smith and Brendon McCullum put 93 runs partnership on the board for the 1st wicket for Gujarat Lions during chasing the big total. It was the Gujarat Lions second best partnership for any wicket while their best partnership was also between this two batsmen for the same wicket and that was 112 runs against Delhi Daredevils at Delhi.