Today Rising Pune Supergiants (RPS) played against Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) at Vishakhapatnam, RPS’ home ground. It was the last game for both the teams in IPL 2016. The losing team would finish at the last position in the IPL 2016 points table while winning team would end at the 7th position (second-last position) in the IPL 2016 points table.
After winning the toss, KXIP decided to bat first. With the help of a fine opening partnership, KXIP put 172/7 on the board in 20 overs. In reply, RPS came under pressure in the middle of their innings but skipper MS Dhoni’s heroic unbeaten 64 runs clinched a thrilling win for the host. On the very final ball of the match, RPS needed 6 runs which skipper Dhoni finished in style. RPS won the match by 4 wickets at the end (RPS scored173/6 in 20 overs).
With this win, RPS finished at no.7 position in the points table with 10 points while KXIP finished at no.8 or last position in the points table with 8 points.
Some of the statistical highlights of the game are given below:
- KXIP skipper and opening batsman Murali Vijay scored 59 runs in this match. It was his 4th half-century in this IPL season as a captain. It is most half-centuries by a KXIP captain in an IPL season. The previous best was held by former KXIP skipper Adam Gilchrist in 2011 with 3 half-centuries.
However, today’s half-century was Murali Vijay’s 5th half-century in the IPL 2016.
- RPS skipper MS Dhoni hit 5 sixes in this match. With those 5 sixes, he became the highest six hitter for RPS with 14 sixes as he put fellow teammate Thisara Perera who hit total 11 sixes, to the second place.
- In this match, RPS skipper MS Dhoni put on 58 run partnership with Thisara Perera for the 6th wicket. It was the joint best 6th wicket partnership in the ongoing IPL 2016. Another one for the 6th wickets is a partnership between Andre Russell and Shakib Al Hasan for Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) against Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) at Kolkata on 16th May 2016.
- RPS scored 23 runs in the final over of the match while chasing 173 runs. It is the most runs chased successfully in the final over in IPL history. The previous best was 21 runs, which was jointly held by 3 teams. Those 3 teams, who successfully chased 21 runs in the last over of the match, were Deccan Chargers (against Kolkata Knight Riders at Johannesburg in 2009), Mumbai Indians (against Kolkata Knight Riders at Kolkata in 2011), and Royal Challengers Bangalore (against Pune Warriors at Bangalore in 2012).
- KXIP became the second team to finish at the last position in 2 consecutive IPL seasons as they had also finished at the last position (8th) in IPL 2015. Before that, Delhi Daredevils held the last position in two consecutive IPL years, 2013 (9th) and 2014 (8th).