On Thursday night, Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) clinched a victory in their must-win game against Mumbai Indians (MI) at Mumbai. MI decided to field first after winning the toss. KXIP put on a mammoth total of 230/3 (20 overs) on the board.
In reply, MI fell just 7 runs short of KXIP’s total. MI finished on 223/6 at the end of 20 overs.
Brief Scores: Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) – 230/3 in 20 overs (Wriddhiman Saha 93*, Glenn Maxwell 47, Jasprit Bumrah 1/24)
Mumbai Indians (MI) – 223/6 in 20 overs (Lendl Simmons 59, Kieron Pollard 50*, Mohit Sharma 2/57)
Result – KXIP won by 7 runs
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match
- KXIP scored their first 50 runs in just 3.4 overs which is the second fastest 50 for a team in IPL 2017. The fastest 50 for a team in IPL 2017 is in just 3.3 overs by KKR (Kolkata Knight Riders) against RCB (Royal Challengers Bangalore) at Bengaluru on 7th May 2017.
- KXIP batsman Glenn Maxwell hit 5 sixes in this match. Maxwell now has hit total 82 sixes for KXIP which is the joint most no. of sixes for a KXIP batsman. David Miller has also hit 82 sixes for KXIP.
On the other hand, Glenn Maxwell also became the joint most no. of sixes hitter for KXIP in IPL history. Out of 82 sixes for KXIP, Maxwell has hit 78 sixes in IPL which is the equal of Shaun Marsh (78 sixes) and David Miller’s (78 sixes) no.of IPL sixes for KXIP.
- KXIP batsman Wriddhiman Saha played superb innings of unbeaten 93 runs. It is the third highest individual score by a KXIP batsman against MI. The top two in this list are 104* by Hashim Amla at Indore on 20th April 2017 and 94 by Kumar Sangakkara at Mohali on 25th April 2008.
- KXIP scored 230/3 in 20 overs. It is the third highest total for KXIP. Their top two totals are 232/2 (20 overs) against RCB (Royal Challengers Bangalore) at Dharamsala on 17th May 2011 and 231/4 (20 overs) against CSK (Chennai Super Kings) at Cuttack on 7th May 2014.
- After the end of this match, KXIP pacer Ishant Sharma has bowled 102 balls in IPL 2017 but still, he is not able to pick a wicket. It is the most no. of balls bowled by a bowler in an IPL season without taking a wicket. The previous record holder was Karn Sharma (Sunrisers Hyderabad) who had gone wicket-less in his 98 deliveries during IPL 2016.
- During the chase, MI managed to score 223/6 in 20 overs. It is the joint 2nd innings highest total for any team in IPL history. Previously, RR (Rajasthan Royals) had also scored 223 runs (223/5 in 20 overs) during a chasing against CSK (Chennai Super Kings) at Chennai on 3rd April 2010.
- Total 453 runs (453/9 in 40 overs) were scored in this match. It is the second highest match aggregates in IPL history. The record is 469 runs (469/10 in 40 overs) between CSK (Chennai Super Kings) and RR (Rajasthan Royals) at Chennai on 3rd April 2010.