After beating Mumbai Indians (MI) in the Qualifier 1, Rising Pune Supergiant (RPS) became the first team to qualify for the final of IPL 2017. MI decided to bowl first after winning the toss at Wankhede Stadium (Mumbai). At the end of 20 overs, RPS put 162/4 on the board.
Chasing the target, MI only managed to score 142/9 (20 overs). RPS beat MI in that Qualifier 1 by 20 runs.
Brief Scores: Rising Pune Supergiant (RPS) – 162/4 in 20 overs (Manoj Tiwary 58, Ajinkya Rahane 56, Lasith Malinga 1/14)
Mumbai Indians (MI) – 142/9 in 20 overs (Parthiv Patel 52, Jasprit Bumrah 16*, Washington Sundar 3/16)
Result – RPS won by 20 runs
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match
- RPS batsman Ajinkya Rahane completed 3,000 runs in his IPL career. Rahane became the 11th IPL batsman to score 3,000+ runs. He took 104 IPL matches to achieve this feat which is the joint fourth fastest (in terms of no.of innings) by a batsman to complete 3,000 IPL runs.
- RPS batsman Manoj Tiwary played a great innings as he scored 58 runs in this match. Tiwary completed his half-century in 45 balls which is the slowest 50 by any RPS batsman. The previous record holder was Ajinkya Rahane who had completed his half-century in 43 balls against GL (Gujarat Lions) at Pune on 29th April 2016.
- During this match, MI batsman Kieron Pollard completed his 1,000 T20 runs at Wankhede Stadium (Mumbai). Pollard became the second batsman to score 1,000+ T20 runs at Wankhede Stadium (Mumbai). Rohit Sharma was the first batsman to achieve this feat.
- RPS off-spinner Washington Sundar bowled incredibly as his bowling figure was 4-0-16-3. At the age of 17 years and 223 days, he became the youngest bowler in IPL history to claim 3 or more wickets in an innings. The previous record holder was Kamran Khan who had achieved this feat first time at the age of 18 years and 44 days.
Also, it (4-0-16-3) is the best bowling figure by a spinner in the Preliminary Playoff Stage (Qualifiers and Eliminator; excluding semifinals and final) of IPL history. The previous record holder was Daniel Vettori (Royal Challengers Bangalore) with the figure of 4-0-19-3 against MI at Chennai on 27th May 2011.
- In this Qualifier 1, RPS successfully defended their first innings total of 162/4. It is the joint lowest defending total in the Preliminary Playoff Stage (Qualifiers and Eliminator; excluding semifinals and final) of IPL history. Including this match, it was the third time when 162 runs defended in the Preliminary Playoff stage of IPL history.
- RPS player Washington Sundar was awarded Man of the Match due to his excellent bowling performance (4-0-16-3). At the age of 17 years and 223 days, he became the youngest IPL cricketer to receive Man of the Match award.
- With this victory, RPS reached the final of the tournament. In their second IPL season, it is the first time for RPS to reach the IPL final.
On the other hand, present RPS cricketer MS Dhoni has reached 7 times in the IPL final. It is the most no.of appearances for a player in IPL final history.