Rising Pune Supergiant (RPS) snatched a big victory in a game against Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) in Pune. After winning the toss, RCB elected to field first. RPS was restricted for 157/3 in 20 overs.
In reply, RCB only managed to score 96/9 in 20 overs. RPS won this clash by a big margin of 61 runs.
Brief Scores: Rising Pune Supergiant (RPS) – 157/3 in 20 overs (Steven Smith 45, Manoj Tiwary 44*, Stuart Binny 1/17)
Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) – 96/9 in 20 overs (Virat Kohli 55, S Aravind 8*, Imran Tahir 3/18)
Result – RPS won by 61 runs
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match
- RPS managed to score 157/3 in 20 overs. In a full 20-overs IPL match, it is the second lowest total for RPS by batting first. Their lowest total in this list is 152/7 against KXIP (Kings XI Punjab) in Mohali on 17th April 2016.
Also, it (157/3) is the second lowest total for RPS at the Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium (Pune). Their lowest total at this venue is 108 (16.1 overs) against DD (Delhi Daredevils) on 11th April 2017.
- During this match, Virat Kohli (2,021 runs) completed 2,000 runs at chasing in his IPL career. Kohli became the 3rd cricketer to score 2,000+ runs in IPL career during chasing. The first two batsmen to achieve this feat are Gautam Gambhir (2,347 runs) and Robin Uthappa (2,206 runs).
- RCB skipper Virat Kohli was the only batsman to provide some fight against the RPS bowlers, as he scored 55 runs in this match. It was Kohli’s 12th 50+ knock for RCB while chasing in IPL. It is the most no.of 50+ knock by an RCB batsman during chasing in IPL. Kohli surpassed Chris Gayle’s record who has 11 50+ knocks in IPL for RCB in this situation.
Meanwhile, Virat Kohli is in the second position to score most no.of 50+ knock for a team in IPL during chasing. Gautam Gambhir is on the top of this list with 15 50+ knocks in IPL for KKR (Kolkata Knight Riders) during chasing.
- RCB only managed to score 96/9 in 20 overs. In a full 20-over match, it is the lowest total for RCB when they were not bowled out. The previous lowest total for RCB in this situation was 115/9 against KKR (Kolkata Knight Riders) at Ranchi on 12th May 2013.
- RPS restricted RCB for 96/9 in 20 overs. It is the lowest total for any team against RPS. The previous lowest total (in a full 20-over match) for any team against RPS was 118/8 (20 overs) by SRH (Sunrisers Hyderabad) in Hyderabad (Deccan) on 26th April 2016.
- It is the 3rd time when RPS successfully defended their 1st innings total and all of these victories have come in this season IPL. Out of those, two came against RCB.
On the other hand, RPS won this match by 61 runs which is the largest victory (by runs) for RPS.
- Virat Kohli (5,046 runs) completed 5,000 runs in his T20 career on the Indian soil. He became the first batsman to score 5,000+ runs in T20 career in a particular country.