James Faulkner may miss the Ashes, ODI series over drink driving charge - Sportzwiki
Cricket

James Faulkner may miss the Ashes, ODI series over drink driving charge


  • Australia all-rounder James Faulkner accepted on Friday that he made an “error of judgment” and apologised after being charged with drink driving by Greater Manchester Police while playing for English county side Lancashire, The Guardian reported.

    He had been drinking with fellow Tasmanian Tim Paine, who was also in the car when Police charged Faulkner for drink driving.   

    The first disciplinary action Faulkner has faced is to be dropped from Friday’s T20 Roses clash against Yorkshire.

    The 25 year old has been released on bail and will face a court hearing in Manchester on July 21 after he returned a reading of 100 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath on Thursday night, almost three times the UK’s legal limit of 35mg.

    “I can’t excuse my actions and understand that I have let people down,” Faulkner said in a Cricket Australia statement. “My decision to drive was an error in judgment.

    “I apologise unreservedly and accept any penalty handed to me by Cricket Australia and the relevant authorities.”

    Cricket Australia, who have charged the World Cup winner under its own code of conduct, “returned a blood alcohol reading of approximately twice the UK’s legal limit”.

    As a first disciplinary action Faulkner was dropped from Friday’s T20 Roses clash against Yorkshire.  

    Faulkner may face a further ban of between two and eight games from Cricket Australia, The Guardian reported.

    “He’s got a code of behaviour hearing and that deals with criminal offences,” Howard said. “They’ll have a good look at it and make a final decision. We’ll take that information on board as well, in terms of dealing with selectors.

    “If he’s only available for part of the tour or something like that, we might just say – sorry you’re off the tour. You can’t cop this. He knows that.”

    Faulkner was not picked in Australia’s 17-man Ashes squad, meaning he would only have been called up if Shane Watson and Mitch Marsh were injured.

    Australia face England in a five-game ODI series after the five Tests, when Faulkner would have been among the first picked in the XI.

    The 25-year-old said in statement he had “let people down”.

    “I can’t excuse my actions,” Faulkner said. “My decision to drive was an error in judgment. I apologise unreservedly and accept any penalty handed to me by Cricket Australia and the relevant authorities.”

    Howard discussed the issue with some members of Australia’s Ashes squad on Friday. “The couple of blokes I’ve spoken to completely understand it, there are consequences for actions,” he said. “He’s had a very good record, but he’s made a very big mistake here. We’re working on it together. I’m really disappointed.”

    Faulkner suffered a side strain in February and was in doubt for the World Cup.

    But he returned during the group stage and snared three wickets in the final to earn man-of-the-match honours.

    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Most Popular

    Top