One of Sri Lanka’s most illustrious cricketers and statistically the best international batsman the country had ever produced will play no more international cricket after the ICC World Cup which would be played in Australia and New Zealand from February 14 to March 29 next year.
Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) sources said Sangakkara’s manager had intimated the 37-year-old left hander’s decision to SLC officials and a media release was expected to be issued last night.
This means that Sri Lanka’s forthcoming ODI series against England which will feature seven matches from November 26 to December 16 would be the last time Sangakkara will be seen at an international match on home soil.
There has been a lot of speculation about Sangakkara’s retirement, but it was not clear if the extremely popular player had also announced his retirement on yesterday’s CNN’s Talk Asia programme which featured him.
Earlier in March this year during the ICC World T20 in Bangladesh, Sangakkara told the media that he would retire from all forms of the international game after the 2015 World Cup.
“As far as ODI and Test cricket are concerned, it’s hard to give a timeframe. I am 36 years old now and will be 37 next year during the time of the World Cup. At the next World Cup, I will be 41 and I don’t hope that I will be playing then. So the 2015 World Cup will be my last. It’s a kind of natural progression,” Sangakkara said in Dhaka.
“For Test cricket; form, fitness and enjoyment factors must be there for you to continue. There is no denying I am in the twilight of my career,” he added.
Image Courtesy: dawn.com