Former IPL chairman Lalit Modi admitted on Monday his involvement in a plot to overthrow the sport’s establishment in order to biuld a new world cricket governing body affiliated with the Olympic movement.
Modi, who is wanted by police over allegations of money laundering over luctrative television deal, said plan had been in making. Last week a warrant for his arrest was issued by a court in Mumbai at the request of India’s economic intelligence agency, the Enforcement Directorate, which is investigating allegations of money laundering.
“We’re talking about another cricketing system. There is a blueprint out there, it’s got my rubber stamp on it. I have been involved in it. I say it for the first time, I’ve been involved in putting that (blue) print together,” he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation in an interview.
In the past, while acknowledging involvement in discussions to set up a new governing body, Modi had insisted he had walked away from the project.
However, Modi had always deny his involvement with the conspiracy before. This is the first time Modi admitted it.
“The plan that I have put together is a very detailed plan, it’s not a plan that’s come off the cuff, it’s been taking years and years and years in the making,” he said.
Modi, who lives in London as tax and financila crime authorites raidded his premises, has long been critical of the International Cricket Council’s governances structure and financial model.
Modi, who wants to spearhead alternative body, is concrened abou the way India, England and Australia control the ICC and draw more 50 per cent of financial share.
“We could take on the existing establishment, no problem,” he said. “It requires a few billion dollars, I don’t think it would be a problem to get that… into action.”
BCCI had expeled Modi from his post IPL commissioner in 2010. In 2013 he was banned from addministartive pocess of BCCI. Modi has not been charged and denies all the allegations.