In the latest ICC Test batsman’s rankings a new number 1 player has been announced. Steven Smith has surpassed Kumar Sangakra with some brilliant performances with bat in recent times. He is Australian batsmen to be ranked number 1 player after Micheal Clarke in 2012.
He scored 199 and 54 not out in the second Test match against West Indies where Australia won the match with ease. Steven Smith has been in excellent form in the past 4 to 5 months and looked unstoppable. The other batsmen include AB de Villers followed by Hashim Amla, Angelo Mathews, Younis Khan, Joe Root, Kane Willamson, Misbah Ul Haq and David Warner. It is a disappointing that no Indian batsmen feature in this list.
While in the bowling department Dale Steyn is still at the top followed by James Anderson. The third place goes to Trent Boult, followed Ryan Harris, Herath, Mitchell Johoson, Stuart Broad, Vernon Philander, Morne Morkel and Tim Southee.
Here are the latest ICC test batsmen rankings:
1. Steven Smith(Australia)-913 points
2. Kumar Sangakra(Sri Lanka)-909 points
3. AB DE Vilers(South Africa)-908 points
4. Hashim Amla(South Africa)-891 points
5. Angelo Mathews(Sri Lanka)- 841 points
6. Younis Khan(Pakistan)- 836 points
7. Joe Root(England)- 815 points
8. Kane Willamson(New Zeleand)- 813 points
9. Misbah Ul Haq(Pakistan)- 770 points
10. David Warner(Australia)- 757 points