On the collision course with Cricket Australia over his fitness, injured skipper Michael Clarke has been reportedly ruled out of the first Test against India starting December 4th, following his failure to recover in time to play in the two-day tour game in Adelaide starting on 29th November.

Cricket Australia had earlier made it crisp and clear that if Clarke fails to get fit in time for this tour game, he will not participate in the first Test.

According to News Corp Australia, the statement released by Cricket Australia quoted:

Should Michael play the tour match and recover well, the selectors have said he will take his place in the Test side.

If he is not able to get up for the CA XI game, and given his history with this recurring injury, he will be ruled out of any cricket this week and the first Test and our focus will shift to getting him fit to play the second Test in Adelaide commencing on Friday, 12 December.”

However, Clarke had ruled himself out for the Adelaide game but said he was looking forward to play in a Sydney grade match on Saturday to prove his fitness. This created a lot of confusion and CA chief executive James Sutherland has sought a ‘please explain’ from Clarke on why he contradicted the selectors. 

I will speak to Michael and others who have been involved in the process to make sure I understand where these things have gone awry,” Sutherland said.

“It’s not really appropriate for me to go into any more detail. All I can say is I am concerned that there are some mixed messages coming out of Cricket Australia in the last 24 hours or so and I want to understand why things have fallen off the rails a bit there.”

 

 

Image Courtesy: