Partnerships in ODI cricket hold tremendous value. Often it is seen that some partnerships tend to change the fate of the game. Often a partnership of even 30-40 runs can change the fate of the game at a stretch. Also, it requires good amount of understanding and co-ordination between players to build up partnerships. Running between the wickets also contributes to a significant factor. In this article, we are to emphasize upon the players who were involved in most century partnerships in ODIs.
- Sachin Tendulkar, 99: The former opening batsman of India and perhaps the best batsman in ODI cricket is the holder of a sea of records. He was also pretty much capable of building partnerships with other players. Also, his running between the wickets was sensational. He also shares the record for the most number of century opening partnerships with Sourav Ganguly with 26 century partnerships.
- Ricky Ponting, 72: The former Australian captain came out to bat at number 3 for them and played brilliant cricket on a consistent basis. He was a brilliant runner too and complimented superbly with other players in building up partnerships. His consistency made Australia a destructive batting line up and he used to anchor the innings for them.
- Kumar Sangakkara, 66*: Sangakkara has been in flying form in the on going World Cup and has scored three centuries on a trot. He has been involved in a few century partnerships of late with Dilshan and Thirmanne. He has been the anchor of Sri Lankan innings for quite sometime now and Sri Lankan batting relies on him thoroughly.
- Sourav Ganguly, 66: He was a sensational batsman and also a tactical batsman. There was a time when the opening pair of Ganguly and Tendulkar was feared immensely by the opposition because if that partnership got going, then the oppositions had no chances in coming back to the game.
- Rahul Dravid, 56: The former number 3 batsman for India was called as “The Wall” due to his sheer ability to stick to the wickets and not giving up easily. He rescued India from several collapses by building brilliant partnerships with players. He was involved in century partnerships with Tendulkar, Ganguly and others. He also shares the record for the second highest partnership in ODI cricket of 331 runs with Sachin Tendulkar.
The stats are based till India Vs. Ireland match of World Cup 2015.