Captaincy is a huge responsibility in cricket and test captaincy is perhaps no matter of joke. Also, it is a matter of fact that cricketing brains of players tend to be much more matured when the responsibility of being a captain is being vested on them. And there are plenty of instances of players who shone after being the captain.
In this very article, we are to emphasize upon the captains who scored a test double century on their captaincy debut. Here it goes.
- Graham Dowling: He was a New Zealand cricketer of the 1950s. He played a total of 39 test matches in his career and captained the side in 19 of them. He had scored a double ton in his captaincy debut which includes his name in this list.
- Sunil Gavaskar: He was one of the rock solid former Indian batsman and had been the captain of India for quite sometime. He has played a total of 125 test matches and he is one of the highest run getters in test cricket. He had also achieved this feat of scoring a double ton on his debut as a test captain.
- Martin Crowe: The kiwi skipper was a brilliant batsman himself. He captained New Zealand for quite some time. He played 77 tests for New Zealand and has 17 test centuries after his name. He scored a few double centuries and unluckily his highest test score stands out to be 299.
- Shivnarine Chanderpaul: He was the sole captain of the West Indian side who scored a test double ton in his captaincy debut. He has been the prime performer of the West Indian team for quite a long time and has also been perhaps the most dependable batsman of the West Indian line up. In fact, he is now the second highest run getter for West Indies in test cricket. Lara tops the list and Chanderpaul is behind him by a margin of a few hundred runs.
- Hashim Amla: Amla scored a double ton against West Indies recently and he has been in his prime form for the past year or so. The series against West Indies was Amla’s first home series as a captain. He stood up greatly to the occasion and performed brilliantly. Also, under his leadership, South Africa has been pretty much successful in tests as of now.