Former Australian captain Ricky Ponting has come out in support of Marylebone Cricket Club’s (MCC) decision to reduce bat sizes in international cricket, saying the balance in the game has gone a bit in favour of batsmen and that it should be reduced.

Come October, the maximum dimensions of a cricket bat will be 108mm in width, 67mm in depth with 40mm edges. The decision came in the wake to put bowlers’ importance intact in the game, after what was believed by many was turning out to be a batting oriented on-field sport from a while. Ponting, along with Kumar Sangakkara and Rod Marsh in the elite panel of MCC, took such a decision earlier this year.

Speaking to RadioLIVE’s Saturday Sport, the 42-year-old expressed his thoughts on the same. He said the current dimensions of the willow is a worrisome sign and should be dealt with.

“The overall feeling across the panel is that the balance has gone a little too far in favour of the batsmen. We have 12 or 14 guys on the panel who talk long and hard about trying to find the balance between bat and ball in the game across all three formats. It’s not about winding the clock back, we are just worried about where it might have got too. The modern bats most of the guys use will probably fit in within the current limitations.”

Speaking further, he said the panel had a talk with many manufactures and players before putting their case forward. He added the replies were satisfying as few of the bat-makers said they can provide highly efficient willows under the limit and that won’t concern the batsmen across the world too.

Ponting also said among the many players they talked with, majority were caught admitting the bats have actually gone too big nowadays.

“We consulted manufactures and players; 60 or 70 percent of the players felt the bats had got too big which made the decision easier. We asked all the bat companies for their thoughts and opinions on it all, and they felt they could make high-quality bats perform well under those limitations.”

Well, with the support, criticism comes along the way too. Few of the former players were spotted expressing their displeasure over the decision, which could prove vital seeing the plethora of batting records being created and broken in today’s game. Among the few were Australia’s Dean Jones and New Zealand’s Scott Styris.

  • SHARE

    Related Posts

    India Vs New Zealand, Sourav Ganguly, Virat Kohli, Kane Williamson, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Spinner, Men in Blue, Favourites, Limited-Overs Series,

    India v New Zealand, 1st ODI Match Prediction: Kiwis Prepared to Pose A Fresh...

    It was pretty much the same time on the calendar when the New Zealanders came visiting India last year for a limited overs showdown. After...

    Key Players to be Rested Ahead of Overseas Tours in South Africa and England:...

    Team India skipper Virat Kohli stated that the team management would give the much-needed rest to some of the key batsmen in the Indian...
    Ashes 2017-18, Steven Smith, Responds, Usman Khawaja, Suggestion, Cricket Australia, Asia, Selection Policy

    Steven Smith feels Usman Khawaja has been Offered Plenty in Asian Conditions

    Australia skipper Steven Smith has brushed aside the latest comments from top-order batsman Usman Khawaja, as latter believed he had been given limited chances...

    Imam-ul-Haq Hopeful of Following the Big Foot Steps of Uncle Inzamam

    Imam-ul-Haq, the newest sensation of Pakistan cricket has a long way to go, but at least he has started off his journey in a...

    Watch: Arjun Tendulkar Troubles Shikhar Dhawan with a Well Directed Bouncer

    Team India is all set to continue their winning streak once they take on New Zealand in the three-match ODI series starting tomorrow at...