Selectors slammed Virender Sehwag for his farewell match comment
BCCI selectors have slammed Virender Sehwag for his comment on India TV’s famous programme Aap Ki Adalat. Sehwag said the sadness of being “deprived of a farewell game shall always remain” in his mind. The selectors have snubbed his comment saying that it is impossible to let a player know that he will not be selected anymore.
“We are surprised to read about what Sehwag said (in the TV programme). By saying that he would have requested for a farewell Test had we told him that we won’t pick him, means he admitted being at the end of his road. Selectors have no right to tell any player that he won’t be picked again. Anyone can make a comeback through big scores and we are always aware of that,” a selector told Mumbai tabloid Mid Day on condition of anonymity.
“Why only one Test? The selectors asked. “He would have got many more had he scored runs. Things don’t work like this in cricket. It is disappointing to hear such things from Viru, a good player and bloke too,” said the selector, who was visibly disappointed after the blatant criticism directed at the Section Committee.
The former explosive opener would prefer to retire after playing the second Test in Delhi.
“Had the selectors told me they were going to drop me, I could have requested them to allow me to play my last Test in Delhi (vs Australia in 2013) and then announce my retirement, but they did not give me that opportunity. A sort of sadness shall always remain in my mind that I was not allowed to retire while playing, but anyway, it’s all a part of life for a sportsman,” Sehwag was quoted as saying at the Hindi news channel programme.
“Should not a player who has played 12 to 13 years for his country, deserves a farewell match?” Virender Sehwag asked Rajat Sharma, the host of the programme.
The Sandeep Patil-headed five members Selection Committee drop Virender Sehwag in 2013 Hyderabad Test against Australia since then the opener was not considered for any formats of the game.
In Hyderabad Test, he nicked pacer Peter Siddle and caught behind the wicket. He scored only 6.
India is set to play four Test matches “Gandhi-Mandela Trophy” starting on November 5 in Mohali. The second Test will be played in Delhi’s Feroz Shah Kotla, the home ground of Sehwag. He wanted to bid the international adieu after playing the second Test. But, selectors did not pick him in the squad of first two Test of four match series.
Meanwhile, Sehwag joined the elite list of cricketers who will play the All Stars League in the USA. So, if he selected for the match then he could miss the tournament.