Sri Lanka finally gelled well as a unit against Pakistan, as they won the fifth ODI in a commanding manner. The Sri Lankan batsmen began the game with a touch of positivity, as they went about their tasks without any hindrance or signs of pressure. Kusal Perera and Dilshan sent a strong message to the Pakistani bowlers that despite losing the series, their confident spirit hadn’t withered away. The first wicket stand between the Sri Lankan openers was of 164, and by the time it was broken, the damage had already been done.
Kusal Perera soon got to his hundred and the platform for the finishers had been well set. Towards the end, Angello Mathews and Milinda Siriwardana finished with a flurry, as Sri Lankan ended on 368-4. Barring Shoaib Malik, all the Pakistani bowlers were hammered. Pakistan never looked like chasing the target and the Sri Lankan bowlers could finally seek some solace, as the hosts won the fifth ODI. The series though, was won by Pakistan, by a margin of 3-2.
Below, are the five statistical highlights from the fifth ODI between Sri Lanka vs Pakistan –
1. Kusal Perera now has seven 50+ scores in ODI cricket.
2. The ton by Kusal Perera was the 80th century scored in ODI’s in 2015.
3. For the first time 4 Pakistani bowlers conceded over 70 runs in an ODI.
4. It was the first time, that Sri Lanka’s top 6 scored over 25 against Pakistan in an ODI.
5. The run outs of Dilshan and Perera meant that it was only the third instance when both the openers were run out after scoring over 50.