Pakistan began the 3rd Test very well. After winning the toss on day 1 at Edgbaston, Birmingham, Pakistan sent England into bat first. Pakistan wrapped up the home team England at 297 runs at the stumps of the opening day of this Test match.
Brief Scores: England – 297 (Gary Balance 70, Moeen Ali 63, Sohail Khan 5/96)
Here are some statistical highlights of the day 1 of 3rd Test:
- This match is England’s 500th home Test. England becomes the first team to play 500 Test matches at home. Australia is in the 2nd position in this list with 404 home Tests.
- After winning the toss, visitors Pakistan sent hosts England into bat first. Last time a first innings (in a Test match) batting team won a Test match at Edgbaston, was in 2005 where England beat Australia. In the last 7 Tests at Edgbaston, Birmingham (after 2005), first innings batting team has lost 5 times and drawn other twice since then.
- England batsman James Vince and Gary Balance put a solid 69 run-partnership for the 4th wicket in their first innings. It was the England’s fourth 50+ partnership for 4th wicket against Pakistan at Edgbaston. Also, it was the third-highest 4th wicket partnership for England against Pakistan at this ground. England never put a century partnership against Pakistan for the 4th wicket at this ground.
- England batsmen Gary Balance and Moeen Ali also on an important 66 runs partnership for the 6th wicket during their first innings. It was the England’s third 50+ partnership for 6th wicket against Pakistan at Edgbaston. Also, it was the third-highest 6th wicket partnership for England against Pakistan at Edgbaston.
- Pakistan pacer Sohail Khan bowled brilliantly in this match as he finished the first innings with an impressive bowling figure 23-3-96-5. It was the 5th best Test innings figure by a Pakistan bowler and 4th best Test innings figure by a Pakistan pacer at Edgbaston, Birmingham. Last time a Pakistan pacer had taken 5 or more wicket at this ground in 1987 (Imran Khan – 6/129).
Before Sohail Khan, last time a visiting pacer to claim a 5-wicket haul at Edgbaston, Birmingham in 2000. The pacer was former West Indian pacer Courtney Walsh whose figure in that match was 21-9-36-5.
- On Day 1, Pakistan pacers took total 9 wickets in the England’s first innings. It was the third time that Pakistan pacers took 9 wickets in an England’s innings at Edgbaston Test. It is the highest no. of wickets take by Pakistan pacers during an England’s innings at Edgbaston Test.
Also, this was the 16th time for Pakistan to take England’s 9 or more wickets in a Test innings on English soil.
- England has never won a Test match at Edgbaston when they had scored less than 300 runs in the 1st innings of a Test match after losing the toss.