The third Test between Sri Lanka and Australia at Colombo (SSC) is in very interesting position at the stumps of day 3. Australia began the day on their overnight score 141/1 and made 379 runs before being bowled out. Australia took the 1st innings lead by a small margin of over Sri Lanka and that was for just 24 runs.
At the end of the day 3, Sri Lanka was trailing by just 2 runs as they were 22/1.
Brief Scores: Sri Lanka – 355 (Dinesh Chandimal 132, Dhananjaya de Silva 129, Mitchell Starc 5/63) & 22/1 (Dimuth Karunaratne 8*, Dilruwan Perera 8, Mitchell Starc 1/19)
Australia – 379 (Shaun Marsh 130, Steven Smith 119, Rangana Herath 6/81)
Here are some statistical highlights are given below of the day 3 of 3rd Test:
- Australian batsmen Shaun Marsh and Steven Smith put an outstanding 246-runs partnership for the 2nd wicket in Australia’s 1st innings. It was the second highest Test partnership for Australia against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka. Australia’s highest partnership in Test against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka was 258-runs partnership between Mike Hussey and Shaun Marsh (for the 4th wicket) at Pallekele in 2011.
Also, this 246-runs partnership was Australia’s 4th highest Test partnership against Sri Lanka. On the other hand, this 246-runs partnership was also the 4th highest Test partnership for Australia in the Asian soil.
- Australian opening batsman Shaun Marsh hit an outstanding century and scored 130 runs before getting out. It was the 5th Test century by an Australian opening batsman on the Sri Lankan soil.
Also, Shaun Marsh’s 130-runs innings was the jointly 3rd highest score by an Australian opening batsman in a Test innings on the Sri Lankan soil.
- During his 130-runs knock, Australian opening batsman Shaun Marsh faced 281 deliveries which was the second most deliveries faced by an Australian opening batsman in a Test innings on Sri Lankan soil. Former Australian opener Justin Langer is leading this table who had faced 295 deliveries as an opener at Colombo (SSC) in 2004.
Also, Shaun Marsh’s this 281 deliveries facing was the 4th highest deliveries faced by an Australian batsman in a Test innings on the Sri Lankan soil.
- Two top-order Australian batsmen Shaun Marsh (130) and Steven Smith (119) hit centuries during Australia’s first innings of this Test. It was the 6th time that more than one Australian batsman hit a century in a Test innings on the Sri Lankan soil.
Also, it was the 4th time that more than one Australian batsmen from no.1 to no.3 hit a century in a Test innings on Asian soil. However, this incident first time happened on the Sri Lankan soil.
- On the day, Sri Lankan left-arm spinner Rangana Herath bowled very well. At the end of Australia’s 1st innings of this Test, Herath’s bowling figure was 38.1-11-81-6. It was the Sri Lanka’s 5th best bowling figure in a Test innings against Australia and 4th best bowling figure in a Test innings against Australia in Sri Lanka.