Ben Stokes simply went berserk on the second morning in Cape Town as he made a mockery of the South Africans. Resuming the day on 74*, Stokes raced to his maiden double ton by the end of the first session. The destructive southpaw found able support in wicketkeeper Jonny Bairstow, who himself was scoring very easily.
Stokes simply massacred the already depleted South African bowling attack. Debutant Chris Morris could not have dreamt of a test debut any worse than this. With Stokes in complete command, there was absolutely no respite for the South African bowlers.
A staggering 196 runs were scored by England in the morning session, out of which 130 came from the willow of Ben Stokes. In the due course of his unbelievable innings, Stokes went on to register some staggering records and unearthed eye-popping statistics. Below, are some of the statistics unearthed by Ben Stokes.
1. 163. The deliveries taken by Stokes to notch up his double ton. It is the second quickest in the history of test cricket.
2. Stokes became the first left hander to score 200 at more than run a ball.
3. Stokes’ double century was the quickest for England, quickest against South Africa, and undoubtedly, quickest in Cape Town.
4. Stokes scored 130 runs before lunch on the second morning. Thus, he has the most runs for a batsman in the morning session of a day.
5. Stokes became the 20th batsman to score 100 or more in the morning session of a test.
6. 204*. The highest individual score by an England batsman batting number 6 or below belongs to Ben Stokes.
7. Stokes also has the fastest 150 now for England. He got there in 135 balls.