So the wait for the cricket fans is over as T20 World Cup 2016 is down under. This edition of the tournament will be played in India for the first time. Total number 16 teams are participating in the tournament. A total number of 35 matches will be played to find out that which team will hold the trophy on 3rd April. The final match will be played at the historic Eden Garden in Kolkata. In this edition of T20 world Cup, 8 teams have already qualified for the tournament whereas other 8 times are fighting it hard to seal a place in the top 10.
Currently, the qualified teams are playing much needed warm up matches before the main tournament begins. There have been some controversies before the start of the tournament as the much-awaited match between India and Pakistan has been shifted to Kolkata from Dharamshala citing security concerns. But the main reason for this shift is the political rivalry between the C.M. of Himachal Pradesh and the president of H.P.C.A.
But keeping this issues aside there are other teams who are geared up and ready to go in this tournament. Players are practising hard to achieve the ultimate goals. In this year’s World Cup each and every team have a fair chance to win the cup as most of the players participating in this tournament have played IPL and surely their IPL experience will come into play which will help them in the end. But still Indian team is the strongest contender who has the ability to win the World Cup crown.
So far many records have been broken and many milestones have been achieved. Let’s have a look at few records that have been achieving till now-
1. Umar Gul is the only bowler who has been the highest wicket taker in T20 World Cup two times.
2. This is the third consecutive time that the World Cup is being played in an Asian country.
3. Mahela Jayawardene has scored most runs (1016) inT20 World Cup.
4. Sri Lanka has the record of highest total (260-6) in a World Cup game.
5. Bangladesh has the record of most losses (15) in the World Cup.
6. Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara has the record of highest partnership (166 runs) for any wicket.
7. Brendon McCullum has the record of the highest individual score (123) to his name in T20 World Cup.
8. Tillakaratne Dilshan and Shahid Afridi have most ducks (5) to their name in World Cup.
9. Lasith Malinga has most wickets (38) to his name in T20 World Cup.
10. Virat Kohli has the record of scoring most runs (319) in a single edition of T20 World Cup.*