Cricket is called as the gentleman’s game but there has been quite a few number of occasions when even the gentlemen of the game are involved in exchange of something ungentle “Pleasantries”. In earlier days of cricket, the exchange of dirtiest words, called as Sledging by the gentlemen, were part and parcel of the game. Often this was a strategy adopted by the fielding time to bring the opposition batsmen under pressure and made them to lose their calm and play some unnecessary silly shots. But the sledging incidents went serious quite a few times. And a few of them did turn insane at times. Here is the list of Top 5 Sledging Incidents in the Game:
1. Aamir Sohail Vs Venkatesh Prasad: This is registered as one of the epic sledging incidents in the history of the game. It was in an ODI between India and Pakistan. Pakistan’s opening partnership got a flier start and Aamir Sohail was playing the pivotal role in it. He dispatched most of the deliveries outside the fence. In an over of Venkatesh Prasad, Sohail greeted Prasad with some mouthfuls. Prasad kept his calm. In the very next ball, Sohail slapped a ball through the covers and pointed Prasad to go and fetch the ball from the boundary with his bat. Prasad also said some pleasantries to him. In the very next ball, Prasad came back stronger and he bowled Sohail out, which was followed by a sea of mouthful words from Prasad. This happens to be one of the most remembered sledging incidents.
2. The Monkey Gate: It happens to be one of the most epic incidents in the history of Cricket. This was a sledging incident between Harbhajan Singh and Andrew Symonds that got pretty much bigger in its effect. During a test in Australia in 2007-08, Harbhajan sledged Symonds by slanging him in Hindi as “Maa-ki”! Symonds interpreted it wrongly and thought he was told “Monkey”! He charged onto Harbhajan and countered him with some pleasantries. The matter got very much serious in its effect and both of the players were fined.
3. Glenn McGrath Vs Eddo Brandes: This happens to be one of the greatest sledges of all times. It was in a test when the number 11 batsman of Zimbabwe was facing hard times to face McGrath. There was a harsh sledging between the two which happens to be the dirtiest sledging incidents ever. The sledging words were thus: McGrath said: ” Why are you so fat?“
Quick as a flash, Brandes replied: “Because every time I make love to your wife, she gives me a biscuit .”
4. Merv Hughes Vs Viv Richards: This was a desperate spat between the two in a test match. Merv Hughes usually did never short of a word while on the field and during his cricketing days, he rarely kept quiet. During a test match in the West Indies Hughes didn’t say a word to Viv, but continued to stare at him after deliveries.” This is my island, my culture. Don’t you be staring at me. In my culture we just bowl.” Merv didn’t reply, but after he dismissed him he announced to the batsman:” In my culture we just say f*ck off. “
5. Ravi Shastri Vs. Mike Whitney: There has been quite a few occasions when the Aussies were dominated by others in matters of sledging. This is one among the very few number of instances. In a test match, Shastri once hit the ball towards Mike Whitney (the 12th man in the game) and looked for a single and that guy got the ball in and the words delivered by Whitney were: “ If you leave the crease i’ll break your f***ing head”. Shastri didn’t bat an eyelid before replying :” If you could bat as well as you can talk you wouldn’t be the f***ing 12th man“