The build up to the series is quite unlike the other series of the past. The series was scheduled to start on 4th December and the first match was to be played at Brisbane. But after all that has happened in the past week, the entire tour has been rescheduled. The series between India and Australia will start from 9th December, and the first match of the series will be played at Adelaide Oval. The track record of the Indian team at the Adelaide Oval, is not something that one can be proud of. India has played 10 matches at the Adelaide Oval and has won just 1 match, and have lost 6 matches. Let’s take a look at the record of the Indian Team at Adelaide Oval.
Adelaide is considered as a batting friendly wicket and after the renovations that have taken place since India’s last tour, the ground is said to have become more batsman friendly than before. It was at this venue in 1948, that Vijay Hazare became the first Indian batsman to score hundred’s in both innings of the game. The 1977-1978 tour which many consider as the best tour of the Indian team down under, the series was level at 2-2 and the last match was played at Adelaide. India had nearly chased down a record target of 493 runs to win the Test. However, they were 47 runs short after being bowled out for 445. India lost the test match in 1991 and 1999. In 2003 India finally managed to win their first match at Adelaide, thanks t Rahul Dravid’s 233 in the first innings and 72 not out in the second innings. VVS laxman also helped Dravid in the first innings and took India close to Australia’s first innings score, he had scored 148 runs. The last match of the controversial 2008 series was played here which was a draw. In 2012 India were blown away by the Aussies and lost the match by 298 runs.
Here are some of the stats, from the Indian point of view:
- Rahul Dravid has scored most runs for India at this venue, he has played 4 Test matches and has scored 401 runs. From the current lot, Virat kohli has scored 138 runs in the sole match that he has played here.
- The highest score by an Indian at this venue belongs to Rahul Dravid, who had score a superb 233 in the 2003-2004 tour, which helped India to win the Test match.
- The highest total for the Indian Team at this venue is 526 runs , which was achieved by them in 2002-2003 Tour. In the 2012 tour India had scored 272 runs and 201 runs.
- The lowest total by the Indian team at this venue is 110 runs, which happened in 1999-2000 tour.
- The record for the best bowling figures in an innings by an Indian bowler at this venue belongs to Kapil Dev, who had picked up 8 wicked for 106 runs in the 1985-86 Tour.
- The record for the highest partnership belongs to Rahul Dravid and VVS laxman who had put on 303 runs for the 5th Wicket in 2003-2004
Please share your thoughts about the First Test which will start from 9th December, what do you feel, who will win.