Wayne Rooney proved he is a class apart as he scored a ‘Beckham’ish goal on Saturday at Upton Park, a cracking volley from 56 yards to guide United to a much-needed 2-0 win. Rooney has been the standout player in a troubled season for David Moyes‘ side and will be the key player in United’s pursuit of the Champions League which begins with the two-legged quarterfinal tie against the mighty Bayern Munich.
The Early Days
1. Wayne Rooney was born in Croxteth, Liverpool, to Thomas Wayne Rooney and Jeanette Marie Rooney. He went to De La Salle School, where his love and passion of the game came to the fore and Rooney’s unquestionable potential was recognized and he started training with the Everton youth academy, the football club Rooney and his brothers Graeme and John had grown up following.
2. Rooney made giant strides towards the senior team at Everton and was already a part of the Under-19 squad at the age of 15. Rooney made his senior debut for Everton against Spurs and announced himself on the global stage with a stunning strike against Arsenal at the age of 16. He became the youngest player to score in the Premier League and the youngest ever to play for England. Soon, a 18-year old Wayne Rooney made a much-publicised move to Manchester United for £25.6 million.
Of Love and Family
3. Wayne Rooney met Coleen McLoughlin when the two were studying at secondary school. The two lovebirds tied the knot on 12 June, 2008 after dating each other for 6 years. They live in their £4 million home in Cheshire with their sons Kai and Klay.
Welcome to Manchester
4. Wayne Rooney was asked to find a home in the posh area of Cheshire after he completed his dream move to Manchester United. At the time, Rooney passed by a bar in Prestbury, which he thought was named “Admiral Rooney’ but was actually ‘Admiral Rodney’, but he ended up choosing Prestbury as his place to settle anyway!
5. Wayne Rooney is one of the highest paid footballers in the world earning 300,000 pounds a week. And it is no surprise that the United No. 10 likes to live life king size! Rooney’s home, which has been nicknamed the Prestbury Palace, has all the facilities that one would expect in a Five Star Hotel: a cinema, conservatory, jacuzzi, swimming pool, plasma televisions everywhere and a large games room too. Woah, that’s some way to live life, isn’t it?! To put the icing on the cake, even the taps and lavatory seats in the washrooms are gold plated!
Hair Issues and transplants
6. Rooney underwent a hair transplant surgery in 2010 at a clinic in London’s Harley Street. Rooney announced to the world that he was “delighted” with the outcome of the procedure. “Just to confirm to all my followers I have had a hair transplant. I was going bald at 25, so why not.” Why not when you can afford it!
Rooney’s hair issues continued though until we went for another hair transplant surgery in 2013.
“The Half Roon”
7. A famous pub in Devon, a place with great Manchester United following, decided to honor Wayne Rooney’s contribution for Manchester United by changing its name from “The Half Moon” to “The Half Roon”.
Love for Machines!
8. Rooney does like to flaunt his toys! Rooney has a fetish for cars and his impressive collection includes Aston Martin Vanquish, a Porsche 911, BMW X5, a Mercedes CLK, a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, a Cadillac Escalade, a Chrysler 300C, an Audi TT, and an Audi RSG Avant he loves!
And did we mention the Mercedes G55 AMG, costing £100,000, which could accelarate from 0-100kmph in just 5.6 seconds!
Idolising Alan Shearer
9. Rooney, as a boyhood Everton fan, was a massive fan of Everton striker Duncan Ferguson. But his hero was Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer – Rooney once confessed that he is inspired by the legendary striker and would love to emulate his achievements for both club and country.
Wazza’s tryst with scandals
10. According to reports in the English media, Rooney allegedly carried on an affair with high-society escort Jennifer Thompson while his wife Coleen was pregnant with his son Kai. The affair lasted for four months, and Wayne stopped meeting her a month before the birth of his child. A friend of Rooney told a tabloid that Rooney, who was known for his flirtatious ways after a previous affair in 2004, said of his latest mistake, “My life is in ruins.. I’ve been so stupid and Coleen will leave this time.” But fortunately, Coleen gave him another chance to mend his ways.
11. On the eve of England’s crucial EURO 2012 qualifier against Montenegro, Thomas Wayne, Rooney’s dad and his uncle Richie, were arrested on charges of a betting scam in a Scottish Premier League (SPL) match. Rooney was clearly bothered by the off-the-field incidents as he lost his cool and got himself sent off for kicking out at a Montenegro player. This led to Rooney facing a 4-match ban, which was later reduced to 3!
Of Charities and Goodwill
12. Rooney is an active supporter of charities like UNICEF, the Willow Foundation and SOS Children’s villages.
Well done Wazza! That is why we love you!