Berlin, April 21 (IANS) German prosecutors on Friday arrested a 28-year-old German-Russian citizen on suspicion of carrying out the bomb attack on a bus carrying the Borussia Dortmund football team.
The suspect, arrested near the city of Tuebingen, was staying at the Dortmund team hotel on April 11, the day of the attack, CNN quoted the prosecutor’s office as saying.
Three explosive devices shattered windows and injured Spanish defender Marc Bartra, 26, on the bus as the German squad was en route to its home Champions League match against AS Monaco.
The game was postponed to the next day.
The devices, which were hidden behind a hedge, contained pieces of metal and had a reach of 100 metres, the federal prosecutor’s office said.
The prosecutor’s office said the suspect had bought a considerable number of team stock in the hope of making a substantial profit if their value fell, reports CNN.
Prosecutors said, “A significant share price drop could have been expected if a player had been seriously injured or even killed as a result of the attack.”
According to the prosecutor’s office, 15,000 shares of Dortmund stock were purchased using the IP address of team hotel the day of the attack.
(With Inputs from IANS)