Italian outfit Fiorentina have denied claims that they have been approached by English giants Chelsea for their defender Marcos Alonso.
The defender was heavily linked to a move to Stamford Bridge just days before the transfer window closes.
After signing striker Michy Batshuayi and midfielder N’Golo Kante this summer, Chelsea are desperate to add new players to its back-line and Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly emerged as their top target after a strong showing for Napoli last season. But with the deal all set to fail, the Blues were heavily linked with Marcos Alonso and Lazio’s Stefan de Vrij.
But Viola director Carlos Freitas insists his side are keen to hold onto Alonso, and declared that so far no club had stepped forward with an official offer.
“So far no club has come to ask for our best players,” he said on Monday. “He’s, for now, a Fiorentina player.”
Freitas was speaking at the presentation of loan signings Sebastian Cristoforo and Carlos Salcedo.
“We want to keep the best, but we also want to strengthen the team, trying to keep the economic balance,” Freitas said on Jovetic.
“Until the end we will try to put together the best team possible for the needs of the coach.”
Fiorentina have collected three points from their opening two Serie A games, losing to champions Juventus before defeating Chievo 1-0.
Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has been desperate to bolster his backline since taking charge of the Blues and was linked with several top names but so far nothing has materialised. Chelsea’s defence was one of the main reasons for their poor performance in last season as they conceded 53 goals, 17 more than champions Leicester. With the deadline just a day away, Conte would b making all possible attempts to improve his leaky defence.