England and Southampton striker Rickie Lambert is set to be confirmed as a Liverpool player on Monday after successfully undergoing a medical at Liverpool’s Spire Hospital.

 

Born Liverpool fan Lambert, is finally set to achieve his dreams and sign for his beloved club Liverpool after a £4m fee plus add-ons was agreed. Speaking to Sky Sports News at Liverpool John Lennon Airport, Lambert said: “The medical went well. There are a lot of emotions, as you can imagine. I’ll speak about it properly very shortly.”

The boyhood Liverpool fan was released by the Anfield club at the age of 15 before joining Blackpool.

That rejection hit Lambert hard, as he admitted earlier in the season: ‘I was at Liverpool from age 10 to 15 and I was basically told I wasn’t good enough, which obviously was a hard thing to take at the time.

‘I thought it was the end of the world. But I can tell people in the same situation that it is not the end of the world. It should drive you on to succeed even more.’

He was working in a beetroot factory at the age of 18 after Steve McMahon released him from Blackpool.

“After leaving Blackpool there was a period without a club,” he said. “I didn’t have a contract, so I wasn’t getting paid for four or five months. It was a very difficult time. I was debating what I could do outside the game. But I didn’t want to do anything outside of football.

‘”So I was trying my best to get to training at Macclesfield because it wasn’t close.

“I had to get a job and that one in the beetroot factory was one of the only jobs I could get at the time. I was putting lids on jars, getting paid £20 a day. I would work in the day and go training in the evening.”

Lambert’s rise in English football is a beautiful story, he climbed up the football ladder up via Macclesfield, Stockport, Rochdale and Bristol Rovers before making the breakthrough at Southampton. From League one to the World Cup in Brazil and playing in the Champions League for Liverpool next season, its a fairy tale. Lambert will add a new dimension to a already glittering Liverpool forward line.

Meanwhile, Liverpool are continuing to negotiate with Southampton for Adam Lallana. The Times confirmed Liverpool are yet to agree a fee with Southampton, with a  £25m ‘take it or leave it’ offer on the table. If the deal goes through Bournemouth will receive 25 per cent of the proceeds of the sale of their former player.