Chelsea are on the brink of signing Portuguese goalkeeper Eduardo, according to Dinamo Zagreb coach Zlatko Kranjcar.
Kranjcar said the 33-year-old, who had previously been linked with Sporting, is ready to join Antonio Conte’s side after playing in the second leg of Zagreb’s Champions League play-off tie against Red Bull Salzburg next Wednesday.
Eduardo was in his country’s squad for their victorious Euro 2016 campaign but did not play a match.
Kranjcar told reporters: “Eduardo has got the big honour to go to a big club such as Chelsea.
“Yes, I think he is leaving for Stamford Bridge after the Salzburg game.”
Chelsea’s first-choice goalkeeper is Thibaut Courtois, although backup Asmir Begovic has been linked with an exit. The club are also reportedly interested in AC Milan shot-stopper Diego Lopez.
The situation regarding Asmir Begovic’s uncertain Chelsea future may have led manager Antonio Conte to consider his goalkeeping options ahead of the new season.
It is suggested that Dinamo have received a firm proposal from Chelsea and that hesitation regarding a move back to Portugal with Sporting CP could give the Premier League club a chance to steal in.
Apparently, Chelsea have submitted a much better offer than Sporting for the player.
Eduardo is expected to be a backup for Thibaut Courtois next season. The Belgian keeper was injured for a few weeks last season and the Blues struggled to replace him properly. The likes of Begovic and Amelia never quite managed to impress.
It seems that Conte is keen on addressing that problem this summer and has identified the Portuguese international as an ideal second choice keeper.
Regardless of potential arrivals and departures, it is certainly encouraging that the manager’s thinking is clear regarding his preferred personnel for the new campaign.
In that respect and in terms of results, this has been a significantly more productive summer than the previous one. Conte will also be hoping that it evolves into a significantly more productive Premier League season.