Huge concern for Liverpool as there is a possibility that they might be priced out of a deal for Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen.

Liverpool’s new boss Jurgen Klopp has picked the German shot-stopper as one of his potential target this month, after being earmarked about a rumoured unrest of the 23-year-old at Nou Camp.

The Reds initially prepared an offer worth £12million, which means there will be a small profit on the £10m the La Liga giants paid Borussia Moenchengladbach for the youngster last year.

Ter Stegen apparently has a buy-out clause of almost £65m in his current contract but Barca hierarchy know that figure is quite unrealistic and they are in no hurry to let go the young keeper who helped them win the Champions League last term.

Barcelona also thinks third-choice Jordi Masip is now ready enough to step in as Claudio Bravo’s understudy, and that’s why regards £20m as a fair valuation for Ter Stegen.

But this is still too much for the Reds as they want a genuine challenger to Simon Mignolet. Although he has struggled recently for consistency, Liverpool have said to be informed the Belgium international about a new contract.

There were also reports that Liverpool are close to agreeing a new £18.7 million deal with Simon Mignolet. The goalkeeper arrived at Anfield in 2013 and has gradually become the first choice at the club. He is said to be ready to agree a four-year deal which will rise up his salary to £80,000-a-week. Mignolet’s current £60,000-a-week contract has two-and-a-half years left but the Reds hierarchy wants to reward his No1 status to inspire him.

However, Mignolet has not had the best time at Anfield as he has shown a weakness inside his penalty box in several occasions and made a number of mistakes for which the team has suffered. Despite his superb talent, he has to improve more on his ball handling abilities.

Klopp however believes Ter Stegen will ultimately force Barcelona hierarchy by demanding a transfer request.

All 21 of his matches in last campaign came either in Champions League or Copa del Rey and he has appeared in only four La Liga fixtures this season as Luis Enrique has yet again made Bravo his first choice goalkeeper.

It is suggested that Ter Stegen would first want assurances from Klopp that he will be given enough opportunity to prove himself as No.1 keeper at Anfield.

 

  • SHARE

    Related Posts

    Ranji Trophy 2017-18, Gautam Gambhir, Delhi, Vidarbha, Aditya Sarwate

    Ranji Trophy 2017/18: Delhi Thumps Madhya Pradesh; Vidarbha Crush Kerala in Quarter-final

    On the final day of the quarter-final round of the Ranji Trophy 2017-18, Delhi clinched the match by seven wickets against Madhya Pradesh after...

    Ronaldinho planning 2018 farewell tour

    Rio de Janeiro, Dec 11: Ronaldinho is planning a series of testimonial matches with his former clubs before officially announcing his retirement from football. The 37-year-old...

    Freiburg shock Cologne 4-3 in German Bundesliga

    Berlin, Dec 11: Last-placed Cologne squandered a three-goal advantage and lost 4-3 to Freiburg to complete the 15th round of Bundesliga action. Nils Petersen's hat-trick helped...

    Club Bolivar crowned Bolivian football champions

    La Paz, Dec 11: Club Bolivar won Bolivia's Clausura first division title with a 1-1 draw at Nacional Potosi. Marcos Riquelme, on Sunday, opened the scoring...

    Atletico Madrid knocks off Real Betis

    Seville (Spain), Dec 11: Atletico Madrid continued to put pressure on La Liga leader Barcelona with a 1-0 away win over Real Betis in the...