Over the years, whenever these two sides have met, the tie has been decided by Wayne Rooney’s boots. The England captain would once again hope for similar outcome as he is loving life playing as a striker for Manchester United. Rooney has scored 12 league goals against Newcastle.
The Red Devils have had a mixed season on both results and performance front as they are yet to win over their critics and fans. Louis Van Gaal’s continuous tinkering with the side has not seen United find a settle playing 11.
For this away trip, Van Gaal will be without Robin Van Persie and Michael Carrick, both are 1 week away from returning to first team action for Man United. Phil Jones and Luke Shaw could play a part in this game, while there is a slight fitness concern over David De Gea, who suffered a knock in United’s 2-0 win over Sunderland.
Big question for Van Gaal will be whether or not start with the £59 million man Angel Di Maria, who has been short on form and confidence lately. Van Gaal has asked fans to assess Di Maria next season and might be tempted to give the Argentine a break in this one.
Man United’s predicted line-up to face Newcastle
Hosts, Newcastle guaranteed their safety with a 1-0 win over Aston Villa last weekend and can go all-out for this game and enjoy it like a Cup final. Newcastle have players like Perez, Cisse, Sissokho and Abeid who can win any game out of nowhere.
John carver has taken them to safety, now it’s time for the Newcastle players to express themselves and give fans something to cheer about.
Newcastle’s predicted line-up to face Man United
- Manchester United have won their last two games away to Newcastle, scoring a combined seven goals without reply.
- They have suffered just one defeat in their last 11 trips to St James’ Park (W8, D2).
- Victory would give the Magpies back-to-back wins for the first time since November.
- Papiss Cisse has averaged a Premier League goal every 84 minutes this season – the best record in the top flight among players with at least four goals.
- Newcastle have scored a league-high 69% of their goals in the second half this season.
- United have won just three away league games this term – the joint-lowest tally in the top half of the table.
- They have lost only two of their last 17 Premier League matches (W11, D4).
- Wayne Rooney has scored 12 Premier League goals against Newcastle – his joint-highest career total against a particular opponent, along with Aston Villa.
- Juan Mata has netted three league goals in his last three appearances at St James’ Park.
Newcastle United will have a real go at Man United and Van Gaal must be prepared to use all the resorts he has got. Fellaini could come in handy in teh later stages of the game. Di Maria has to stand up and be counted for rather than sulking away and turning fans against him. I expect a tough tough match for United, but with their side’s quality, I expect Manchester United to win this one 2-1.
Stats Credits: Opta
Image Credits: lineupbuilder.com