Liverpool look set to sign the next big thing in football, Norwegian Martin Odegaard after the Telegraph reported that the youngster was seem at a restaurant in the city with Liverpool midfielder Phillippe Coutinho.
Odegaard, who is only 15 years, became the youngest player to take part in a European qualifier when he turned up for the Norway team. A whole host of big clubs including Real Madrid and Manchester United have been tracking the youngster but it seems that Liverpool are in pole position when he was given a tour of the club on Wednesday before he was spotted by a supporter who snapped a picture of the Norwegian.
A month ago, Odegaard was quoted as saying that Liverpool was his preferred destination when speaking to the German paper, the Bild.
“Liverpool have always been my dream club,” Odegaard said. “But I will not let this affect my decision when I choose a new club.
“It’s all about finding the team that is best for me and for my development. That is not necessarily Liverpool.
“I haven’t really thought about my future yet. I will end the season here and then visit a number of clubs. I have not made a final decision yet, though.
“Of course, it’s flattering when you hear that big clubs are after you, but I don’t think about it too often.”
Liverpool confirm Anfield expansion
In more good news for Liverpool fans, it was announced on the club website that there will be an expansion of the Main Stand at the stadium.
The plan states that the construction is to being at the start of the 2016 season and will increase the capacity of the Main Stand by 8,500 seats to make the final capacity at 20,000 and of the entire stadium at 54,000.
Liverpool will still be able to play matches during the construction which will be good news for all involved, Liverpool have been talking about increasing the capacity of the iconic stadium for a few years but now seem to be getting back on track.
There were ideas floated of moving Liverpool away to another bigger stadium but those were quashed as the Fenway Sports Group wanted the team to stay at Anfield because of the history attached with the stadium, they had earlier done a similar thing to renovate the Boston Red Sox’ ground in the US as well.
Tom Werner, Liverpool chairman, said: “Since Fenway Sports Group took ownership of the club; we were committed to explore in depth all options for the future of Anfield Stadium. We listened to fans, the community, partners, the Supporters’ Committee and key stakeholders involved in the club.
“It was just over two years ago that we said our preference was to stay at Anfield and here we are today announcing that the expansion is going ahead. We have made more progress in the past two years than in the last decade.
“Having experience of expanding Fenway Park and being through a similar and very successful project for the Red Sox, everyone at FSG is extremely proud and excited to be part of expanding Anfield Stadium.”
The Main Stand would become one of the largest all seater stands in the European divisions and will have 3 tiers, it will also contain two podiums which would become home for the Hillsborough Memorial and the Shankly Gates will also be repositioned during the renovation.
Chief executive officer Ian Ayre commented: “Today is an important milestone in the history of Liverpool Football Club. Since we embarked upon this journey we have always said that we need certainty; we now have that certainty and will progress with the expansion of the Main Stand.
“We received very positive support for this expansion during a public consultation exercise and today is also an important step for the wider regeneration of the Anfield area.
“There has been a tremendous amount of work done to get us where we are today but this is just the beginning. This is a major construction project which will take place during the football season and while we will make every effort to minimise any impact or disruption to normal operations, we ask for the continued support and understanding from our fans and the local community.
“Expanding Anfield is very much part of our long-term strategy of growing the club and on behalf of the directors, players and staff, I’d like to thank the local community and residents, our fans, Liverpool City Council and Your Housing Group for all their support.”
The renovation would also include the Anfield Road Stand end which would have an additional 4,800 seats, although there is not set date for the completion of this arrangement.
Quotes courtesy: The Telegraph & LiverpoolFC.com
Picture courtesy: The Guardian & The Telegraph