Leicester City’s star attraction Riyad Mahrez has finally accepted he is likely to stay with The Foxes this season.
That’s according to The Guardian who claim the Algerian’s representatives met with club officials yesterday.
And the news will come as a huge blow to Arsenal who are said to be very interested in last season’s PFA Player of the Year.
Mahrez was instrumental in helping Leicester to a shock Premier League title win, scoring 17 goals and providing 10 assists for his team-mates.
The 25-year-old recently rejected a new £80,000-a-week contract offer from the Foxes in the hope of forcing a move.
But after selling N’Golo Kante to Chelsea and tying down Jamie Vardy, the champions have made it clear to Mahrez, he will not be allowed to leave.
Director of football, Jon Rudkin, met his agent yesterday to make the club’s stance clear as the new season approaches.
Leicester are concerned if they were to let Mahrez leave they wouldn’t have time to find a suitable replacement so close to the end of the transfer window.
Arsenal have reportedly offered £35m for the Algerian but the Foxes are determined to keep hold of their star man.
Claudio Ranieri’s men start the new Premier League campaign when they face Hull on Saturday lunchtime.
With the Gooners going mad over the lack of a forward signing this summer, one player who has been heavily linked to the North Londoners – Leicester’s Riyad Mahrez – only a few days ago was at the centre of rumours that he might be on his way to Chelsea.
The rumours have been sparked by @AlessandroLdn, an Italian based in London, who had an interview with new Blues boss Antonio Conte on Monday.
During his time with Conte, @AlessandroLdn spotted Mahrez in west London. He even posted pictures of the sighting on social media.
Moreover, he also reported that he was told Chelsea are trying to sign Mahrez.
It had been widely suggested that Mahrez was staying put this summer at the King Power Stadium.
Amid all the Arsenal interest last week, Leicester chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha posted an update on Instagram which appeared to have said that the Algerian international was staying with the Foxes.